Men’s Soccer

No one on either the Blues or York Lions teams could score on Saturday. They played to a scoreless draw in front of a small crowd at Varsity Field.

The tie evened the record of the Blues at 1-1-1. Their win came against Nipissing in week one of the season and their loss came at the hands of Laurentian on September 12.

The Blues sit in third place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) North Division, behind York and Laurentian. York is still undefeated this season, as they boast a 2-0-1 record.

This was the first contest in which either team has failed to score this year. Sean Myers and Kern Juman are currently tied as the most prolific scorers on the team with two goals each.

Luciano Lombardi posted the shutout for U of T. This was his third appearance of the season, in which he has only allowed five total goals.

Matt Balkanloo prevented the Blues offense from putting a single ball past him.

-Matt Somers

Women’s Soccer

Only one goal was scored between the Varsity Blues and York women’s soccer teams on Saturday. Sheona Morrison of the Blues was the one to do it.

Sheona scored in the last minute of play in a nailbiting affair that had fans on the edge of their seats.

York was coming into this contest with an undefeated record, as they were 1-0-1. The Blues had identical totals, but are now 2-0-1 with the win.

Andrea Tristao earned her second win of the campaign and recorded her second shutout. She has only surrendered one goal in three games this season, which was surrendered during a 4-1 win over Nippissing.

Sheona Morrison now has two goals on the season. She scored the second goal in the win over Nipissing.

-M.S.

Men’s Rowing

The men’s rowing team managed an eighth place finish in an event across the globe in Taiwan on Thursday. The eight men on the team are all U of T students or alumni.

The team had never rowed together as a unit before this event, which prevented them from knowing the strengths and weaknesses of their teammates.

Greg Reckless, Keith O’Brien, Nicolas Rouleau, Ryan Morris, Ming-Chang Tsai, Michael Harris, Kiran Van Ryn and Alex Ince-Cushman comprised the team. Ingo Lou was their spare and Gary Stinson and Christian Ventresca served as coaches.

The Blues were relegated to the B-final of the event when a Taiwanese crew claimed the last qualifying spot in their semi-final race. They managed to finish eigth overall with a strong showing in that race.

A team from Hamburg, Germany were the overall winners at the Taiwan event.

-M.S.

Football

The Blues put together their best offensive effort of the season on Saturday, as they scored 14 points against McMaster. That was not nearly enough against the Marauders, though, for McMaster had a field day with the struggling defence of the Blues squad. The final score was McMaster 77, Blues not nearly enough.

The most one-sided part of the game was on the ground. McMaster ran for an astounding 515 yards on the ground and U of T only managed 24.

Total yardage also greatly favoured the Marauders. They had a total of 706 yards, while the Blues countered with 258.

Tim Ryan and Derek Wheeler both intercepted McMaster quarterback Adam Archibald in the loss.

Jesse Lumsden of McMaster rushed for four touchdowns and over 200 yards in the first half alone. He was given a break in the second half, when the game was already well in hand.

Marauder linebacker Jason Pottinger had an interception return for a touchdown in the game. Nathan Finley also picked off a pass.

-M.S.

Rock, Paper, Scissors

Watch out Toronto, the 2004 Rock, Paper, Scissors International World Championships will be held at the Kool Haus on October 16. This is the third running of the event and the third time it will be held in Toronto.

Last year, local man Rob Krueger was crowned champion and Toronto’s Fist Full ‘o’Sneer came in second. The bronze was claimed by Patrick Merry of London, while Christine Wong grabbed fourth.

The web site for the championship claims that reporters from the Toronto Star and Rolling Stone Magazine, along with various other media outlets will be on hand to cover the event. They also boast that players from all corners of the globe will take part.

-M.S.