Gryphons descend

Back Campus was terribly unkind to the women’s rugby team Saturday morning. The Blues, who won silver at last year’s Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) Championship, fell 57-0 to Guelph that morning.

Meaghan Howat led all scorers with 15 points, scoring three tries in the match. Michelle Joslin was right behind her, as she contributed ten points on two tries.

The Blues were never clawed so bad last year. They suffered no shutouts in 2004-05, and Western-the eventual CIS gold medalists-was the only team that beat U of T.

The team is now 0-2 on the year, which is a sharp contrast to the 7-3 season they put together 12 months ago. There is still time for a turnaround and a playoff run, but the road gets no less rocky for the squad from here on out.

The Blues have to take on the 1-1 Waterloo Warriors next. The game is at home at noon on Saturday.

Mired in mediocrity

The women’s lacrosse team had was extremely competitive in their first three games of the season, played this past weekend at McGill University. Unfortunately, the team only came out on the winning end once in those matches.

The Blues started the weekend off well, beating Brock 5-4 in a close affair. Victoria Merril scored a hat trick in the win, while Kathryn Godfrey chipped in two goals for the Blues.

The weekend was less kind to the Blues after the first contest. The squad went on to drop close 8-7 and 9-6 decisions to McGill and Queen’s, respectively.

Claire Maturo was the sparkplug for the Martlets in the game against McGill, scoring three goals to lead either team. Kathy Godfrey, Brooke Reid, and Julia Wakeman had two goals each for the Blues to keep the game close.

The team (1-2) has to wait until October 15 to see their first action at home. U of T will take on McMaster and Guelph at Brock next weekend before enjoying the friendly confines of Back Campus.

Sweet revenge

The men’s baseball team got revenge on Sunday afternoon for a serious beating they suffered on Saturday afternoon. Revenge was sweet in this case.

The loss was a 6-0 shutout at the hands of the Waterloo Warriors at Christie Pits. Tyler Wilson pitched an eight-inning gem for the visitors, and the Blues could only manage one hit all game.

The loss was avenged by an offensive explosion on Sunday. U of T managed nine runs on 12 hits against a trio of Guelph pitchers in this contest. The Gryphons managed a feeble four hits off Blues starter Jesse Fulton, who had one of the best starts of his U of T career Sunday.

The next home appearance for the Blues is Saturday, when they duke it out with Brock in a double-header at Stan Wadlow Park.