Late last month the University of Toronto Women’s Rowing team traveled to Taiwan to compete against some of the Pacific region’s best rowers. Leaving on September 18 for a weeklong adventure at the Taipei City Rowing Championship Regatta, the crew enjoyed an experience that verified their commitment to U of T’s rowing program and solidified their love of the sport.

“I feel extremely lucky for having the opportunity to travel around to the other side of the world to compete, and it’s times like these that make rowing worth while”, says Lillian Parsons, a third year student who joined the U of T Rowing crew last year.

The team was on a tight schedule, which included adjusting to the time differential and then waking up, most days, at 4:30 a.m. to get an early start on their pre-race routine.

Parsons added, “During those brutal ERG tests or the 4:30 wake up time, it’s often hard to remember what I like about rowing. However, it’s experiences like these that remind me why I stick to it. Not too many people get a chance to travel around the world… so to travel while representing U of T and the sport I love, I realize how lucky I am.”

Racing a lightweight quad in1km, 2km, and 2km time-trial races in extremely rough waters against teams from Japan and Hong Kong, as well as regional Taiwanese teams-including Taiwan’s National team-the U of T squad managed to log some impressive results. They placed fourth in the 1km, fourth in the 2km, and a proud third in the 2km Henley Style time trial. A Henley Style time trial consists of a 1km time trial to seed the racers, with the top eight going on to race head-to-head.

“The teams that beat us were all national teams”, commented Ming Chang Tsai, the team’s coach and U of T rowing veteran. “They had been training hard-twice a day for the past four or five months-and they were using the regatta as a build up to their national games. So for the team to represent us this well against the local [basically professional rowers], it was impressive.”

According to Coach Ming Tsai, the team can attribute this success to great team chemistry and their ability to stay calm in confusion, adjusting to any condition that may surface: “It was very easy to work with these athletes, as they were very disciplined and motivated.”

Along with the tough competition came high winds and a seemingly random, under-prepared race location.

“While we got to race in brand new straight-out-of the-factory boats with awesome oars, the wind was absolutely horrible, which made it very hard to row with good technique”, says Parsons.

Although the team has gotten used to the rough waters of their Lake Ontario training facility, this was unlike anything they had encountered before. It was their ability to quickly adapt that kept them in the race and got them onto the podium.

“The team dynamics were amazing”, adds Parsons. “From beginning to end we all played off of each others’ enthusiasms and excitement.”

This positive attitude and stellar work ethic will guide these athletes through many more tough and blustery challenges. And when you combine these elements with the commitment, support and expertise of the U of T Rowing Club, this crew is bound to stand on the podium again.