Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Intramurals are back in the pages of The Varsity! Every Thursday, The Varsity will feature an intramural game of the week, highlighting the cream of the crop from U of T intramurals for the week to come.

Each week, a game will be previewed from any sport and any division in the intramural ranks, followed by a recap of that game the following Thursday. So keep your eye on this space for all the best in intramural action just in time for the fall season’s home stretch.

-MATT VENTRESCA

Wonder women, marvellous men

U of T has another championship banner to fly, and also the possibility of more coming soon after a highly successful week of action. The women’s baseball team struck gold on the weekend, while both soccer teams look for Ontario University Athletics (OUA) titles in the coming weeks.

The Blues took home their first Ontario Intercollegiate Women’s Fastpitch Association (OIWFA) on Sunday, defeating Ottawa 2-0 in the championship match.

U of T’s offence was sparked throughout the playoffs by Karlene Headley-Cooper, who went 13 for 19 at the plate on the weekend. Lisa Kennedy also deserves honourable mention, as she pitched a scoreless final game to lead the Blues to victory.

U of T gets to host the OIWFA playoffs in 2006 as a result of this victory.

U of T’s women’s soccer team, meanwhile, took the field Wednesday afternoon in a playoff game against McMaster. The Blues won 2-1 in a shootout, and will now play York in the OUA quarter final on Sunday afternoon. Laura Arduini scored the only goal for the Blues in regulation time.

The OUA north division champion men’s soccer team is preparing to take on Nipissing in Toronto in their OUA quarter final match. The Blues were crowned division champs after defeating York 2-0 last weekend.

-MATT SOMERS

Guelph Gryphons ground Blues goalie, goal scorers

After starting their season with two straight wins, the Varsity Blues women’s hockey team suffered their first loss of the season Sunday night at Varsity Arena, losing 4-0 at the hands of the Guelph Gryphons.

Arden Sullivan led the charge for Guelph with two goals, including the game winner. Bianca Kitts and Elaine Dumas also tallied for the Gryphons who were bolstered by a successful power play, scoring two goals with the man advantage. The Blues, on the other hand, could not take advantage of their six power play opportunities.

Aleisha Lusk recorded the shutout for Guelph (3-1-1), stopping all of the 28 Toronto shots she faced.

The Blues (2-1-0) continue their season Saturday afternoon when they take on defending Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) champion Laurier (4-0-0) at 4 pm at Varsity Arena.

-MV

Bashing the birdie

Last Saturday, the badminton squad continued their regular season as they faced the Ryerson Rams at the AC. The Blues stormed past the Rams 11-2 in dominant fashion.

The Blues went 5-1 in their singles matches, as veterans Melissa Nock and Anca Gaspar remain undefeated in singles play. Nock beat Ryerson’s Karen Beamish 11-2 , 11-2, and Gaspar schooled Karen Wung 11-0, 11-1.

In men’s singles, Andy Lam won a close contest 17-16, 15-6 against Sherman Lam. Will Johnson and Calvin Cheng won their respective matches in straight games as well.

Doubles action saw just as much decisive play as in the singles matches. The Blues went 6-1 in men’s, women’s, and mixed doubles play.

-PERRY KING