The Varsity Blues men’s hockey team hosted the Brock Badgers to mark the official start of their home season last Friday. The much-anticipated season opener for men’s hockey ended with disappointment for Blues fans, though, as Toronto’s faithful went home upset.

The Blues lost a decidedly tough match to the Brock Badgers 5-2, despite a valiant effort from the home team. The well-attended, highly charged crowd eagerly awaited in vain for a comeback victory from their heroes.

Both teams responded well to the fast but even pace of the game as the first period got underway. Blues assistant captain Simon Barg eventually broke the equilibrium of the match up with an unassisted fast-break goal at 15:28.

The Badgers responded in kind, quickly tying the game with a goal by Josh Bonar. Shots totaled 16-11 that period in favour of Brock.

The most interesting aspect of the period was provided by the tremendous defensive performance by both goalies. Brock’s Matt Harpwood offered some entertainment to a listless crowd by putting up an impressive one-handed save.

The second period, however, was all Badgers. Resounding drum rolls by intense and enthusiastic Blues fans would have little effect on Brock’s offence.

Badger’s centre Ryan Delmonte scored the first goal of the period, which was followed by another marker one minute later by fellow Badger centre Brennan Giroux. The Badgers would go on to score four goals that period, courtesy of several powerplay opportunities provided by Blues’ minor penalties.

Brock’s J.J. Martin scored a quick and bewildering goal toward the end of the period, prompting one Blues fan to turn to me and ask, “What just happened there?” I could only respond with a shrug and a shake of my head. Brock’s Josh Bonar subsequently went on to score another goal to end the second period.

Fiercely determined, the Blues returned to face the third period undaunted. They responded to the turbulent, fast-paced play of the Badgers with ferocious intensity.

U of T’s near-perfect offensive execution and outstanding defensive play would eventually pay off with a goal by Blues centre Greg Palka. Palka scored the only goal of the period, ending off the chaotic game with a solid effort.

Despite a disappointing loss on Friday night, many men’s hockey fans are looking to the future for better things.