Ya lose silver, but win bronze

U of T’s field hockey team played an excellent game in Vancouver on Sunday, earning them Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) bronze medals. They defeated cross-province rival Guelph 1-0 in the game for third place at Wright Field.

Heather Clark of Oakville, Ontario had the lone goal in this match. It came after some nifty stick-handling allowed Clark to maneouvre around a group of Gryphons.

Blues goalie Sarah Goertzen made three saves to record the shutout for the Blues. Every shot she faced came in the first half, as U of T kept the ball in Guelph territory for the majority of the second half.

Orleans, Ontario native Malinda Hapuarachchi, the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) player of the year, was named player of the game for the Blues for her play in both the offensive and defensive ends. Caitlin Brady of Bancroft was named Guelph’s player of the game.

The University of Alberta Pandas won the field hockey gold medal by defeating the top-ranked University of British Columbia Thunderbirds 2-1 in the final match on Sunday. The game was decided by sudden-death strokes and this was the first CIS championship in field hockey for the Pandas.

-MATT SOMERS

The lion sleeps tonight

The men’s water polo team was able to tame the York Lions 11-5 last Thursday in the mighty jungle on Keele Street in an important OUA contest. The win allowed the Blues to move into a first-place tie with McMaster in the Ontario standings.

Louis Zavodni, Max Pottier, and Sean Mcghie all had hat tricks in the contest for the talented Blues. Jordan Duffield scored three goals of his own for York in a losing cause.

The Lions remain in fifth place in the OUA standings after the loss to U of T, three points behind fourth-place Queen’s. York is now 2-5-3 on the season, while the Blues boast a record of 5-1-4.

I always knew cats couldn’t swim.

The AC will host the final three regular season games of the men’s water polo team this weekend. The Blues will play Western on Saturday, and Carleton and Queen’s on Sunday-all from the comfort of U of T’s own pool.

Water polo playoffs start November 26 in Hamilton.

-MS

Don’t touch that dial

Stay tuned, kids, for incredible stories coming to a sports section near you in the month of November.

Be sure to read The Varsity on November 10 to catch interviews with two of the stars of The Tournament, CBC’s mockumentary hockey series. Grab a copy of the sports section on November 17 for the second part of this year’s sizzling Hot Jocks series. They are gonna go fast, so get one ASAP.

Don’t forget to also read The Varsity every Monday and Thursday for coverage of U of T’s talented and successful intercollegiate and intramural sports teams as they quest for OUA, CIS, and intramural championships.

-MS