Refill the keg, Rufus, they won again and they wanna party!

In 2002 they were Ontario University Athletics (OUA) champions. In 2004 they were champions again. Now, in 2005, the men’s water polo team have completed the hat trick, winning their third title in four years.

The Blues squeeked by the host McMaster Marauders 13-12 in Hamilton last weekend to retain their title. The Blues had been up 8-2 midway through the contest, but that lead evaporated late in the game. The Marauders rallied to close the gap to one, but Toronto was able to hold on for the victory.

The Pottier brothers formed a dynamic duo on offence that McMaster could not contain. Max scored four goals in the final and elder brother Jake scored on three occasions.

Louis Zavodni and Valdimir Tasevski scored twice each for the Blues as well.

Toronto secured a spot in the gold-medal game by defeating Queen’s in the semifinal. Zavodni had six goals to lead the Blues to an 18-6 thrashing of the Golden Gaels in that contest.

Congratulations team for bringing home gold medals. I hope there was a party to celebrate the triumph, and if there wasn’t we will party on your behalf.

-MATT SOMERS

The shootout at B.C. Place Corral

The Edmonton Eskimos were the last ones standing when the dust settled Sunday night. The beat the Montreal Alouettes 38-35 in an overtime shootout to capture the 2005 Grey Cup.

This was one of the most exciting Grey Cup games ever played. It saw dramatic touchdown passes late in the game, Ricky Ray’s touchdown drought come to an end, and a 96-yard kickoff return by Edmonton’s Tony Tompkins.

No one can say that NFL football involves more skill or excitement after seeing the spectacle that occurred two short nights ago. The CFL will be in great shape if it can keep churning out awesome displays like this on a regular basis.

-MS

Family Night is coming to town

Mark December 3 on your calendar, kids, as Family Night returns to Varsity Arena that evening. The women’s hockey team will take on Western at 5 p.m., and free pop and donuts are being provided for all U of T families that attend the game.

This game is important to the Blues for other reasons as well. The women’s hockey team has lost four of its last five games, but wants to build on a 2-1 win over Guelph last Sunday. Toronto is currently fourth in the OUA standings.

Sue McCutcheon and Emily Patry scored for Toronto in their victory over the Gryphons. Bianca Kitts scored the only Guelph goal in the match.

The Blues will also see action at home on Sunday, as they will take on Windsor at 4 p.m. that day. Toronto beat the Lancers 4-3 in their first meeting this season.

-MS

Things can only go up from here

The men’s hockey team just had an extremely bad weekend, losing two games to the Lakehead Thunderwolves in Thunder Bay. The Blues are still seeking their first win of the season.

Toronto lost 6-4 on Friday and received a 10-0 beating on Saturday in front of large crowds at Fort Williams Gardens, the home of the Thunderwolves. Lakehead has been doing this to teams all year, as they are on top of the OUA far-west division standings.

The Blues, on the other hand, are tied with Ryerson for last place in the OUA mid-east division.

Dan Speer and Jeff Richards scored two goals each in Friday’s contest, and four different Thunderwolves scored two goals each in the massacre on Saturday.

-MS