Women’s tennis

The Varsity Blues women’s tennis team headed by head coach Nabil Tadros recently completed a remarkable 2005-2006 season. They had another dominant year, winning the OUA championship for a second straight season.

The Blues achieved a perfect 6-0 record at the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championship held at the Western Tennis Centre. Led by third-year all star Isabel Jarosz, the team captured the championship trophy against McGill 5-2 in the finals and defeated top-ranked rivals York 6-1 in their semi-final match in London, Ontario.

The women’s tennis team was selected as the OUA Pizza Pizza team of the month in October for winning their win. The U of T women had a remarkable year, only losing six individual matches the entire regular season.

Jarosz never lost more than three games in any set during singles play and remained undefeated in doubles play all year. She finished the season as the top seed in both singles and doubles play.

Grade: A+
-Glen Fernandes

Men’s tennis

While the women’s tennis team earned back-to-back conference crowns, the Varsity Blues men’s tennis team finished the regular season with a 2-4 record, which was just good enough to get them into the playoffs as the fourth and final seed. They were defeated by eventual OUA champions York 6-1 in the semifinals and, despite a strong effort in the bronze-medal match, were defeated by Waterloo, who won with a come-from-behind 4-3 victory.

Despite finishing fourth at the OUA championships, the men’s team still had a much better showing this year than last, as they failed to qualify for the playoffs in 2004. Stan Sczcpanski had a strong performance in singles and doubles play during the playoffs.

In the upcoming year, the U of T men’s team looks forward to improving their success at the OUA championships, perhaps even capturing the gold medals that they last claimed in 2001-02.

Grade: C
-GF

Men’s soccer

U of T men’s soccer program continued to be one of the best in the nation in 2005-06. The Blues won the OUA north division title with a stellar 7-1-2 record and upset the Western Mustangs-the nations top-ranked team- in the provincial quarterfinals. They ended up with silver at the OUA championship.

The team than entered the prestigious Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championships ranked sixth in the nation. The team upset second-ranked St. Mary’s in the quarterfinals and slipped past Trinity Western 5-4 in a shootout in the semifinals.

In the finals the Blues just missed the gold medal with a 2-1 loss to UBC. Eric Tse-the anchor of the Blues impenetrable defence that allowed just four goals this season-was voted OUA north/south player of the year and also a first-team all-Canadian.

A national title might be in the cards next year.

Grade: A
-GF

Women’s soccer

The Varsity Blues women’s soccer team under the guidance of second-year head coach Beth Charles began the year with an impressive 6-0 record, but struggled for the rest of the season, losing three of their last four matches. They finished third in the OUA north division and earned a spot at the provincial championships for a second straight year.

Unlike last year, where they finished second in the OUA and claimed the 2004 provincial bronze medal (the team’s first medal in nine years), their championship run ended in a 3-1 loss in their quarter-final match against York.

Veteran midfielder Erin Osborne was recognized as a first-team all star and Lindsay Lashley earned second-team all-star honours. The team will look forward to improving on this season’s results as they will try to capture next year’s OUA championship crown.

Grade: B-
-GF

For the full Report Card, pick up a copy of our print edition, on newsstands now.