The 2009 visit to Canada of Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall is a nationwide phenomenon. Well, at least to anyone who cares. The Royal Monarchy (which insists on capitalizing any noun within three feet of itself) has fallen under a lot of criticism in this country, not the least of which coming from our own Luke Savage in the previous issue of this paper. Even one of the photographers at this event was audibly complaining about how ironic it is to see Prince Charles, who has never seen combat, play the role of Colonel-in-Chief to two historic Canadian regiments, the Royal Regiment of Canada (formed in 1936, wearing red) and the Toronto Scottish Regiment (raised in 1915 as the “Mississauga Battalion,” wearing grey), which is also “Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother’s Own” (she liked them better). And so a crowd of admiring post-colonial onlookers watched an incredibly colonial ceremony: the Presentation of New Colours, a tradition that dates back to the 18th century. “Colours,” in this case, means not only the colours on the uniforms, but also the battle flags of each regiment, as well as a historical-spiritual combination of divine right and past accomplishment.

The Royal Media Guide puts it best: “The Colour, then as now: was always saluted; carefully guarded; and had an escort to protect it. On the Regimental Colour are emblazoned the names of the battles in which the unit has distinguished itself. The Colour therefore reminds the soldiers of the past history and traditions of the Regiment…As such a symbol, the Colours are the most prized possession of the Regiment and are held in veneration.” Indeed.

To say the least, it was interesting that this ceremony landed Charles, Camilla, and rows of military in 19th-century costume, right here at U of T. Varsity Stadium beamed as Anglican priests incanted and Charles gave a heartwarming speech about remembering the fallen. And despite the bitter cold, I think even the shivering men in kilts were given the kind of warmth and comfort that only such an archaic institution as the Monarchy can provide.