“I understand the president is being paid [for no work] but there’s also a potential lawsuit.”—Imrah Khan, responding to SCSU president Zuhair Syed’s lawsuit threat after UTSC students voted to impeach Syed.

“The issue is not one where we have a conspicuous failure, but rather one where, frankly, the returns are not at the level of our peers […] The lesson seems as clear to me as snow on the ground: we need to follow a more conventional strategy.”—U of T president David Naylor announces that U of T is giving up the aggressive U.S.-style investment strategy. The pension and endowment fund lost $1.5 billion in 2008, and endowment payouts were suspended this school year.

“It’s even more shocking when you learn that some of the ‘students’ running our student union are in their seventh year of study. But please, have some sympathy, it’s not their fault—the rules of the game, which they control, make it nearly impossible for them to lose elections.”—Gabe de Roche on the UTSU incumbency rate

When asked what the audience has to look forward to at Fucked Up’s annual Halloween show: “Unity of imagery, bit of a mess, airborne, war zone hat, slam skank, omega excessive enforcers, burning spirits, and a happy Halloween. When the unveiling happens, I’m sure you’ll be slapping your knees and falling over.”—Jonah Falco of Fucked Up

“Did Picasso care about what anyone else was doing? No. Did Rembrandt wake up every morning and go look at other paintings in an art gallery before starting his own work? No. I am inspired by no one.”—Composer Krzysztof Penderecki

The Varsity: Who was your mentor growing up?

Jack Uetrecht: I didn’t really have one. I grew up on a dairy farm in Ohio and I just sort of played around and discovered early on that I was not going to be a farmer.

Jack Uetrecht, professor of pharmacy and medicine at U of T

“Essentially my work has no basic application.”—Associate Professor Maydianne Andrade, Canada Research Chair in Integrative Behavioural Ecology

“Anything could happen.”—Blues quarterback Andrew Gillis in September on the rest of the season

Did you know you can’t say douchebag on TV? I didn’t realize you couldn’t say douchebag on TV.”—TSN anchor Jay Onrait