Whether you were a high school sporting superstar or the last pick on every athletic team, it’s never too late to live out your sports star dreams. Here’s the low-down on what it’s like to be a first year playing for U of T.

Go to tryouts

Every Varsity Blues team has a number of returning athletes, as well as recruits who have been offered admission partly for their sporting achievements. However, there is usually an open tryout process too during Frosh Week to round out the team.

Find out the dates for tryouts as soon as possible, especially if you are going for a particular team. The tryout itself includes standardized fitness and technical testing.

First years won’t just warm the bench

Don’t worry about being a stand-in or substitute just because you’re in first year. Getting selected to represent the Varsity Blues depends on previous experience and your athletic potential.

The most outstanding newcomers are in the running for Rookie of the Year, an award open exclusively to first years.

A major time commitment

Managing your time while playing for a Varsity Blues team or program is far from a walk in the ball park. Aside from practices and competitions, you’ll find your datebook filling up with fundraisers, team events, and meetings. Be warned — playing for the Blues is a major time commitment, but building a close-knit team makes the effort worthwhile.