The University of Toronto’s plans to install artificial turf on Back Campus faced increased criticism this week, as the Toronto Preservation Board voted overwhelmingly to designate Back Campus as a heritage site. The designation, if approved by City Council, would delay and possibly stop plans to to build two field hockey fields for the 2015 Pan Am games by convertng the grass on back campus into artificial turf.

High profile support

The movement to stop construction on Back Campus received some high profile support this week, with former Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, and celebrated Canadian historian Margaret MacMillan both writing to U of T president David Naylor requesting a halt to construction.

“I wanted to signal to you my dismay and disapproval of this project even though I understand that the bulldozers are on their way,” wrote Clarkson. “I do not understand how we can take a part of the heritage-designated portion of our campus and use it in a way which will mean we lost precious trees and growing space.”

MacMillan was equally concerned: “The centre of Toronto is poor….in comparison to other great cities in its parks and green spaces,” she wrote. “And it would be wonderful if the University of Toronto could show its willingness and determination to take the lead in preserving what we have left.”

Both appealed to Naylor personally, asking him if it was possible to halt construction.

MacMillan ended her letter saying, “I do hope the University of Toronto, even at this last moment, will think again.”

Heritage site

On Wednesday, May 29 Trinity-Spadina councillor Adam Vaughn filed a motion before the Toronto Preservation Board to designate Back Campus as a cultural heritage space.

U of T was represent at the meeting by Bruce Kidd, former dean of the Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education and current warden of Hart House, VP Operations Scott Mabury, two representatives from Infrastructure Ontario, a lawyer to represent Governing Council, and two U of T student athletes.

They maintained that students need more sport space on campus, and that this project would provide that. They also argued that to change the course of plans for Back Campus at this point in the process would be costly and raise the question of significant financial liability for the City and university.

The Toronto Preservation Board voted overwhelmingly to designate the field as a heritage site, with only one abstention.

Mabury believes the designation is unnecessary, as the university has taken the heritage of Back Campus into account.

“We have designed this project to support the heritage landscape through retaining and protecting all of the existing major landscaping of trees on back campus and natural grass perimeter of back campus” says Mabury.

Following approval by the Board, it is now up to Toronto City Council to decide whether to approve the Board’s recommendation. The Board is mandated with providing advice to Council, but Council is not bound by the Board’s recommendations. Council will debate the question on June 11.

“If we can attain the designation for next week at city council, that’ll be incredibly powerful and help to protect back campus,” said Professor Akbari, professor of English and Medieval Studies, who is one of the leaders behind the movement to designate Back Campus as a heritage site.

Brampton potential alternative for Pan-Am

The question of Brampton’s newly built field hockey turf as an alternative venue for the Pan Am games is still up in the air.

On Sunday, May 26 Mayor Susan Fennell of Brampton tweeted, “NEW !Brampton has the finest Water-based artificial turf International standard Field Hockey Field in the GTA!” Mayor Fennell was not willing to directly comment at this time on the idea of Bramptoms field being used for the 2015 games.

Field Hockey Canada’s website boasts that the new Brampton facility is “expected to attract international attention,” and is currently the only water-based international field hockey turf in Ontario.

The City Council meeting on June 11 will likely decide the question of Back Campus.