The countless benefits of yoga for the mind and body are widely promoted. Although there are a number of traditional styles to choose from, twists on these traditional styles or fusion styles are gaining more popularity. Whether you’re a yogi, beginner, or simply thinking about trying yoga, why not give one of the following “not so” traditional styles a try:

Hot Yoga

Hot yoga seems to be one of the more popular styles being practiced; it is performed in a heated studio. The room is set at a controlled temperature and humidity, and participants are led through a sequence of poses. Bikram and moksha seem to be the most popular styles.

No matter what type you choose to practice, hot yoga provides many different benefits that can help you with your overall health — such as stress and anxiety relief, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, assistance with constipation and digestion, back and muscle pain, arthritis, and weight loss.

Electric Yoga

Imagine this: doing yoga to electronic or house music. Seems like a strange combination, but it works. Known as electric yoga, participants are led through a series of power yoga-type postures while electronic or house music is played in the background. Participants not only benefit from receiving a full body workout, but will also see improvements to their flexibility, concentration, and overall strength.

WENDY GU/THE VARSITY

WENDY GU/THE VARSITY

Naked or Nude Yoga

When the news broke that a yoga studio in New York had started offering co-ed naked yoga to participants, it seemed to appear that yoga has been taken to a whole new level.

Defining naked (or nude) yoga seems unnecessary. Although it may appear that practicing yoga in the buff seems to be the next new trend, the practice has actually been around for a long time. Naked yoga is not about sex or sexuality, but about being one with your natural form.

Improvements to self-esteem and improved confidence, freedom of movement without the restriction of clothing — and, arguably becoming more accepting of others — are a few of the benefits. Naked yoga also helps to connect spiritually to yourself, and socially to others.

Yogalates

If you want to get the benefits of both yoga and pilates in one workout, you should give yogalates — a fusion of yoga and pilates — a try. The instructor leads participants through yoga poses and pilates core exercises. With yogalates, participants get the core strengthening benefits of pilates, and build flexibility. Yogalates also reduce stress and assist in weight loss.

The list of non-traditional styles of yoga in the mainstream continues to grow. That being said, the best things these different styles bring are variety and a new challenge, showing that yoga has something for everyone.