The future of Diabolos’ Coffee Bar may be hanging in the balance. 

There has been little movement to reopen the coffee shop this academic year. Diabolos’, which is currently located in the college’s Junior Common Room (JCR), has been a University College (UC) fixture for many years.

“Over the past few years, Diabolos’ has been functioning in an unsustainable manner,” said UCLit upper-year representative Madison Kurchik. Kurchik said that the previous year’s management did not file their taxes. At the moment, Diabolos’ is unlikely to reopen until next September.

The UCLit is currently in the process of collaborating with individuals with business experience, including food service managers and Rotman School of Management students, to cobble together a business model.

The coffee shop’s closure is already causing a stir among UC students, who say the JCR is much quieter and emptier than usual. 

Nicky Bhatty, a fourth-year UC student, said that Diabolos’ closure has forced him to find alternative places to purchase refreshments on campus. Bhatty added that many students are now purchasing coffee at Caffiends, Victoria College’s student-run coffee shop. 

Caffiends has had problems of its own in the past year. At the end of last semester, its fate was also uncertain due to threats of relocation. For now, Caffiends continues to serve fair-trade coffee in its home in the Old Vic building. 

Catherine McMillan, a fourth-year UC student, expressed her disappointment that Diabolos’ would not be opening in the foreseeable future. “It’s unfortunate because the community that surrounds [Diabolos’] is very vibrant. They make this space a more vibrant one,” she said.

McMillan has taken to bringing her coffee from home, and has no plans of starting to buy her coffee anywhere else on campus. 

Sylvia Urbanik, a second-year UC student, echoed McMillan’s sentiment. “[Diabolos’] is one of the defining features of this community,” she said, adding: “I’m severely disappointed.”

Kurchik said that the changes to the coffee shop’s business model will pay off for students in the long-run. “The long-term improvement goals for Diabolos’ and the sustainability of the business are priorities that will benefit everyone,” Kurchik said. 

On Friday, the UCLit held a by-election to elect its new president and vice-president.