The Center for International Experience (CIE) recently organized a “Learn to Love Winter” workshop, where Pratishtha Kohli, a psychology student, presented a checklist for students who have never experienced a Canadian winter. 

Here are a few tips from the workshop on how to cope with the cold Canadian winter.

1. Gear up for cheap

Ilona*, a Danish exchange student, said she has contemplated buying a Canada Goose jacket, but is unsure as to whether she will use it once she finishes her exchange.

Luckily, there are some ways to minimize the expenses of winter clothing. Some outlet stores can be found in Toronto’s suburbs. These outlet stores sometimes offer lower prices than flagship stores downtown. Thrift stores are also a good

2. Stay active

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), depression associated with the cold seasons and thought to be caused by a lack of light, can wreak havoc on your academics, social life, and well-being.

There are very simple things you can do to stave off the winter blues: buy brighter lamps, eat well, drink a lot of water, and get outside. 

It is also crucial to keep active. Inès*, a French exchange student, said that a regular workout routine is key for staying happy. “During winter, I will try to exercise at the gym as often as I can, because it always makes me feel better,” she said.

3. Seek out help

Faced with a stack of assignments and midterm exams as tall as you are, it is easy to feel overwhelmed during this time of year. 

However, it is important to remember that U of T offers a number of services to help you. Set up an appointment with Counselling & Psychological Services or call the Counseline whenever you feel the need to talk to someone.

4. Experience winter activities

Faced with windchills south of negative 30, many students eschew the outdoors during the winter. Ilona, for example, is afraid that she and her friends are going to get less social because they simply don’t want to leave the house.

However, Kohli reminded exchange students that there are plenty of other winter activities besides slipping on stairs on a regular basis. “There are ways to socialize even during the winter,” said Kohli.

Ice skating at Nathan Phillips Square is a popular option. You can also check out the Christmas lights on Bloor Street West. (Realistically, anything outside of Robarts is a good option.)
Layers will keep you warm, so remember to bundle up.

*First name used by request