Controversy has engulfed the Hart House Rifle Range after one of their safety officers was found to have a small arsenal of guns. People have called for the closure of the range. Why? Is the range responsible for one person’s actions? The argument seems to be that having the range promotes a pro-gun/pro-violence attitude. But I don’t think that’s the case.

I’ve long had a fetish for guns. The look of them, the incredible light weight of them and their ability, as my father pointed out, to equalize—in an instant—a boy and a man. But it wasn’t until I joined the Revolver Club at Hart House last year that my attitude actually changed.

An information session is held for all interested parties where handouts are distributed on the various parts of a gun. You are made to memorize each part’s function in relation to the weapon as a whole. You are then closely instructed in a very small class (no more than 8 students to an instructor)on how to assemble, handle and load the gun.

When you finally make it downstairs to the range and load your magazine with bullets, a true consciousness sets in and the myths surrounding the gun vaporize—this is a killing machine designed not to maim but to slay.

This is what happened to me. When I held the light weight handgun it gave little kick back when fired—I felt like I was just dispensing Pez onto a range.

That was the moment of horror. The fact that you can barely feel this gun fire makes you realize how dangerous it is. It has a very cunning ability to separate a person from their action. It’s so easy and feels like such a small thing to fire one.

Whatever gun fetish I might have entertained was suddenly traded for fear. Imagine murder being dispensed as easily as Pez. And that is why I think using a handgun helps dispel the all-too-common romanticization of violence—the crazy idea that it is somehow “cool.”

If you really want to take guns out of the learning environment of our university, go ahead. But don’t think that violence will be deterred. A weapon is a destructive means. It is the person who makes the choice to kill. Much as a range can be a place where a person learns respect for guns—rather than indulging some gun fetish—as I did.

It is a classic paradox: keep the guns to avoid killers. Remember, censure rarely dispels ignorance. By repressing the ability for us to make a choice (like suspending the Rifle/Revolver Club) our options of rational, understanding and informed choices are limited.

Besides, you will not be serving the goal of schools: to educate and enlighten.