Crimson comes calling

Our southern neighbours get a chance to test their mettle against the defending CIS champs when the women’s hockey team hosts the Harvard Crimson (No. 4 U.S. College Hockey online poll) in an exhibition game at Varsity Arena Saturday at 4 p.m.

Tonight the #2 Blues (8-1-0) try to avenge their only loss of the season in a game at #5 Wilfrid Laurier at 7:30 p.m. For Saturday, student admission is free and all attendees are encouraged to bring their vocal cords.

Triple toe loops and twirls

Our figure skating team enjoyed a medal for the first time in a while with a third place finish at last weekend’s Queen’s Invitational. They finished a mere 3 points behind second place Guelph (47 points) as Queen’s (61 points) secured Gold.

Frances Lee and Jennifer Leek brought back first place finishes in the short program and Senior Bronze singles respectively. Their next action will be here in Toronto when they host the Toronto Invitational on Saturday January 19.

Ready for liftoff

Both volleyball teams are back in action tonight for the last time before the New Year as they travel to York.

The women (6-2, 12 points) are coming off a weekend win over Waterloo and will attempt to move past Ottawa (6-3, 12 points) while increasing their 4-point lead over the Yeowomen (4-5, 8 points) in the OUA East standings.

Errata: Ottawa and Lakehead (5-4,10 points) were left out of the women’s standings in the November 26 section.

The men (6-2, 12 points) attempt to atone for a November 15 loss at York as they battle the Yeomen (6-1, 12 points) for a chance to be tied with Queen’s (7-1, 14 points) atop the OUA East.

Women’s water polo

The Blues played at York last night. See full story Monday.

Gridiron King to be crowned

The University of Manitoba takes on St. Mary’s this weekend for the 2001 Vanier Cup. Action starts at SkyDome on Saturday at 5 p.m.