Our family is pleased to announce the birth of its newest member, Varsity Weekend. Er…well, actually not so much a birth as a separation. Like siamese twins, the Varsity you used to receive on Monday was a little too connected to the Varsity you received on Thursday. Same organization of content, same design, same sections.

We thought it was time to separate the two, so they could grow up to be unique, self-aware individuals. Like all twins, they’ll still share a lot, most importantly the fact that they are owned by students and all students can write, take photos or otherwise contribute to the newspaper ([email protected]). However, the two are now free to take separate paths.

What does that mean? Well, as you flip through the paper you will see. Our news section will be a bit shorter, and while it will still stay on top of breaking news, it will also have room for different kinds of news—investigative work, quirky news and news-features, to name a few. In our Opinions and Analysis section, you’ll find more space for your opinions and thoughts, and a new feature called “The Full Nelson.” Please contribute to a lively debate by sending your article ideas to our opinions editor at [email protected].

Instead of a long feature, our centre spread will feature profiles or prominent faculty, students and alumni, as well as any big names coming to U of T. If you know someone worthy of profiling, talk to our features editor Ashliegh at [email protected].

Next is the Arts and Culture section. Its goal will be to shed light on interesting cultural phenomena (This week: Degrassi!) as well as provide you with a variety of short but sure entertainment suggestions, including a movie rental of the week, a look at the coming week on TV, restaurant reviews and much, much more. And yes, it will also have the triumphant return of the Dustbin.

Finally, in Sports you will see some interesting changes: more athlete profiles, health and fitness advice and a regular game of the week—which will highlight the one must-see sports game (yes, there are actually some talented athletes here that you should check out).

Oh, and who can forget the cover? We’re hoping it will become a showcase for the best of student photography and art. If you have something you’d like to see featured on the front page of 23,000 issues around campus, email our photo editor at [email protected].

And don’t worry, we’re not leaving Monday out of the fun. Monday will be the useful paper to get your week off to a good start.

This includes the top news from the week past, up-to-date sports standings, and an events listings page, with a full list (with your help) of events on campus. Speaking of which, deadline for that is Friday at 5, so if you have an event on the go, email [email protected] with the details.

Please let us know what you think of Varsity Weekend. It’s still finding its feet, so any guidance or helping hands you wish to offer would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes for the term to come!