In his latest book, On Equilibrium, John Ralston Saul turns his attention to exploring the inner forces that shape us. He argues that six basic qualities—common sense, ethics, imagination, intuition, memory and reason—are fundamental in forming our character. The book begins with a simple image: “Most mornings we turn a door-handle and walk out into a larger world…Turning that door-handle can be a moment of adventure or joy. Of anticipation. Of purpose. Or a reminder of failure. Of emptiness…”

With this he sets the stage for the central theme of his book. At some point in our lives, we’ve all headed out our front door, wondering what motivates us to turn that handle and do what we do. For Saul, a belief in these six qualities gives us that inner force. Learning how to balance these qualities is essential in understanding oneself and building a just society. Saul cautions that by singling out one quality over the rest, we become ideological. A balance is needed between these qualities in order to live a meaningful life. According to Saul, reality lies in our ability to think and challenge ideologies. An understanding of reality is the ability to imagine the other. To have common sense, a shared knowledge and memory, to have imagination, and the ability to reason behind the self, but at the same time really know the inner self. “… a human who knows only his personal or local reality may be tempted into thinking that the ‘other,’ the human across the street or in the next town or of another colour or language or social condition, does not really exist.”

As he delves deeper into defining these qualities, a common thread emerges where Saul dismisses efficiency and utilitarianism as an aspect of self-interest. He warns against falling into the ideology of efficiency, where the concept of the greater good is lost.

“Efficiency and pragmatism are needed. They are mechanical skills in human form. But their utility only functions at that mechanical level. “They are perfectly incapable of leading or shaping society. This is where false common sense meets false reason, since they are identified with both qualities but in reality are neither.”

In a world full of self-help books and Oprah Winfrey shows, On Equilibrium is a must-read. It’s a coming-of-age book for everyone, especially for the leaders of our societies. Like any philosophical work, by its very nature it’s bound to spark debate and criticism.

One criticism can be levelled towards On Equilibrium: its idealism. But as John Ralston Saul says, “All around us reality swirls. Within us, among us, our imagination swirls. Permanent movement and uncertainty. Movement is life. Certainty is death. Movement and uncertainty is reality.”

John Ralston Saul will be appearing at Convocation Hall (31 King’s College Circle) January 25th at 7:30pm.