The Varsity has a Music Man!

Now there’s a real reason to go to the theatre. You can see our own Science Editor, Paul Tadich, in a lead dramatic role. The intelligent people at UC Follies have snapped up this incredible performer for a stint in their production of The Music Man. The good news: he sings.

The bad news: he doesn’t dance. For us non-theatre types, Mr. Tadich assures us the event is chock-full of “light-hearted gaiety.” The Music Man starts today (Thursday) and until Feb. 2nd this week and from the 7th to the 9th at Hart House Theatre. Call (416) 978-8668 for details.

These fibres make me feel

All of you classy types (read: art phags) will be fiendishly excited to know that the Justina M. Barnicke Gallery is hosting Joanne Soroka’s Unmarked Lives showing. An epic document, Soroka uses tapestries, textiles and paperwork to “manipulate the fibres to create meaning.”

If you ask me, she’s in dire need of some manipulation of her own fibres, but we just report the facts. The show will be running from February 7th to March 7th. Again, call Hart House for details at (416) 978-8398.

Black History Month

In honour of Black History Month, Jamaican author Patricia Powell will be reading from her latest book The Pagoda in the Great Hall. It’s at 7:30pm on February 1st, it’s gonna be really cool and it’s FREE! Need any other reasons? I thought not.