The average student might wonder how fencing, one of the more obscure sports on campus, is able to generate any interest at all. In reality, the interest level is high enough to field one of the most talented teams at our university. The reason lies in the challenge of acquiring both the mental focus and physical discipline required.

On Saturday, the Athletic Centre played host to the men’s second divisional sectional in the OUA’s Western division (six schools), the last qualifier for provincial finals in two weeks. For the individual competition, the field of competitors is narrowed from between 15 and 20 (depending on the weapon) down to six.

U of T will be sending four competitors in the foil, three in the epée and two in the sabre. In the team events where individuals compete in teams of three in a round robin combined score format, U of T took all the top spots.

Sabre captain Adrian Ho and epée specialist Matthew Peros highlighted the weekend with strong performances both individually and in the team events.

After attending a two-week summer camp that had him fencing over 8 hours a day, Ho has made great strides in a short period. Coming off a tenth place finish at a national tournament that included Olympic sabre competitors, he has seen himself improve over time.

He lists hitting someone over the head with a sword as a prime source of enjoyment, adding that his impatient disposition naturally leads him to the fast-paced sabre event, where points can be registered with any part of the weapon on a target area above the waist.

Since taking up the sport in his third year of undergrad four years ago, he has benefited from a background in the martial art discipline of Wing Chun to help his individual development in footwork and mental training.

“When you’re fencing one-on-one, the onus is more on you than on any of your teammates,” says Ho. “So there’s more pressure, but I find there’s more satisfaction when you succeed.”

Peros, a graduate student in geography, grew up with a father who enjoyed fencing and has been practicing the sport since he was twelve.

In epée, where the guard is bigger than the foil, the blade is stiffer and the target area for hits is anywhere on the body, Peros’ large stature helps him excel.

“Tall people tend to gravitate towards epée…” says Peros. “You [also] tend to get more patient people going towards epée.”

As a veteran fencer, Peros has competed at “A card” level, the highest level of fencing in Canada. The added experience should help him at the finals, where the traditionally more powerful schools reside.

“It’ll be much harder competition,” says Peros. “It’s going to be challenging, but that’s ultimately why we do this.”

Both Peros and Ho credit coach Ken Wood with helping the team achieve its competitive status through both technical and strategic development.

The women, who had their sectional on Sunday, are led by Leonie Soltay (sabre), Sabrina Natarajan (sabre) and Alison MacLachlan (epée).