Big-name Canadian acts are staging a benefit concern tonight to help the country’s largest food bank, which is facing dramatic increases in demand and a shortfall in contributions resulting from the economic downturn.

Steven Page of the Barenaked Ladies, Sarah Harmer, Molly Johnson and Kim Mitchell will take the stage at the Kool Haus for the first annual “Daily Bread Feedback Festival.”

“The funds will help the food bank fill their new building with food and support their programs,” said Tammy Quinn, chair of the festival.

Usage of the food bank has increased 20 per cent in the last quarter of 2001, adding to the 150,000 people in the GTA who need the food bank to feed themselves every month. Of that amount, more than one quarter are children.

“We’re convinced that it (the increase) had to do with increased unemployment and the end of seasonal jobs,” said Daily Bread spokesperson Jim Russell. “There’s no reason for us to see things (food bank usage) changing.”

Monetary donations to the food bank have decreased by fifteen percent.

Russell attributes this downturn to the slowing of the economy, donor fatigue and donations to outside Canada after the September 11 attacks.

The food bank has been in existence for 20 years and moves 14 million pounds of food annually.

Quinn says all funds raised from the event will go to the food bank. “All the musicians have been incredible and they’ve donated their time. They’re busy people, but they care about the community.”

A documentary about the food bank will also be shown. Quinn hopes to raise awareness about the organization. “We’re hoping for a great turnout,” says Quinn.

Tickets cost $35 for general admission and $150 for VIP tickets, which are available at Ticketmaster.