Ah, springtime. The birds are singing, the crocuses are trying to poke their stems out of the snow.

And the Students’ Administrative Council (SAC) elections are getting underway at U of T.

In less than three weeks, U of T will vote in a new president and two vice-presidents. Fifty-six SAC director and board positions will be up for grabs across all three campuses.

But if you want to run for office, you’d better hurry. The nomination period ends tomorrow at 5 p.m.

A mandatory All Candidates’ Meeting will be held in the Hart House Debates’ Room at 7 p.m. on Friday. Candidates will be introduced to the rules, and the official list of candidates will be announced.

So far, more than 45 candidates for SAC president have picked up nomination packages.

Mike Foderick was appointed chief returning officer for this year’s elections. Foderick, 21, joked that he’s young for the job.

“I’ve looked through the SAC archives, and I think I’m the only first-year chief returning officer in SAC history.”

Foderick said his job will be to make sure candidates obey the election rules that govern the campaign. The election rules cover everything from the times candidates can campaign to the way in which campaign signs are posted.

Last year, the spring election results were thrown out after a campaign that was marred by numerous violations of campaign rules.

“Those who act in good faith aren’t going to have a problem with me. Those that act in bad faith are going to get taken out,” Foderick added.

Photograph by Simon Turnbull