OUA honours an MVP
The Ontario University Athletics (OUA) conference named women’s basketball player Vanessa Richardson its athlete of the week for her efforts at last weekend’s OUA championships. In three games, the tournament’s most valuable player (MVP) scored 35 points and grabbed 33 rebounds, including an impressive double-double (16 points, 11 rebounds) in the 69-66 title game victory against Brock…Today the sixth-seeded Blues face defending champion third-seeded Regina at 1p.m. The winner advances to play the (2) Laval/(7) Brock winner in the semifinal round Saturday at 6 p.m. The CIS championship game will be shown live on TSN Sunday at 6 p.m.

Bonjour, my jumping friends

Women’s volleyball captured their second straight OUA championship with a 3-0 (25-19, 25-18, 25-21) sweep of their cross-town rivals from Ryerson on Sunday night. Toronto’s Sara Pothaar was named the Final Four MVP. Katie Bickerton and Sadie Stewart were among six players named to the Final Four All-Star team. Today the fifth-seeded Blues travel to Quebec City to face the fourth-seeded Sherbrooke Vert et Or (QSSF champs) in a national quarterfinal at 1p.m. Should they advance, it will likely mean a date with top-seeded Calgary in the semifinals. The national gold medal game (4 p.m.) will be televised Saturday at 6 p.m. on TSN (tape delay).

!$!Madness!$!

The Varsity sports section is holding its own NCAA men’s basketball tournament pool to determine which U of T student will be the recipient of a $100 prize. No entry fee. In addition to winning cash, the lucky winner will have the chance to write an article (300-word maximum) answering the question “Why doesn’t Canada generate significant hype for its playoff basketball?” No article, no cash. One entry per student. Pick up entry forms starting from 10 a.m. Monday March 11 at 380 Huron street. Deadline for submission (with name, student number and contact information) is at noon on Thursday March 14.