Midterms, looming term papers, relationship problems… student life can be a source of anxiety and stress. But before you slink off to the bar, know this: help is available on campus. Counselling and Learning Skills Services is a professional counselling service for University of Toronto students.

Counselling and Learning Skills Services (CALSS) always has a variety of workshops on the go. “Creative Expression: Finding Forms for Feelings” will focus on writing as a way to express emotions, “Turning Points” runs from March 14 until April 18 and will focus on overcoming weight, shape and body issues, and the ever-popular “Managing Stress” takes place on April 5—just to name a few.

CALSS was formerly known as the Advisory Bureau, which was created in the mid-60s in response to a SAC student needs survey shown that students wanted non-medical counselling services in addition to the existing psychiatric services. It was re-named CALSS about ten years ago to better describe the services.

Professional counselling and psychotherapy are provided for students with emotional or interpersonal problems.

This includes psychotherapy for individuals or couples, crisis counselling, and counselling and assistance for victims of assaults. The array of problems dealt with includes shyness, anxiety, depression, relationship problems, sex and gender concerns, and abuse.

Coordinator Dr. Sam Minsky explains that “some of these problems are situational and transient in nature, [while] others are long standing and entrenched.”

However, “all of these students need the kind of confidential and professional help that the CALSS staff can provide.”

Learning skills and stress management programs are offered for students who are struggling or just want to improve their academic performance.

Possible workshop and lecture topics include taking notes in class, essay writing, preparing for exams, and preparing for graduate studies. Anxiety workshops are available for students who need help coping with high-stress situations such as exams.

Dr. Minsky says that CALSS could “always use more funding to hire more staff.”

He explains this would “reduce the amount of time that students would have to wait for ongoing counselling. At this time of year (spring semester) students are seen quickly for initial consultations, but if they require ongoing counselling sessions they would be placed on a wait-list.”

Students requiring the services can go to the Learning Skills Drop-In Centre and Resource Library, located on the second floor of the Koffler Student Services Centre.

The Resource Library contains books dealing with a variety of academic skills and an assistant is present during library hours to help students make use of the resources.