Fact: a disproportionately high number of U of T students know how to shake it.

A mirage of cultures, shapes, styles and talents came together this past weekend at U of T’s annual Festival of Dance, a forum for students to choreograph and showcase their own personal brand of spunk.

Some participants rekindled old styles in traditional forms of dance. The U of T Ballroom Dance club performed an enthusiastic medley exhibition and an adorable showcase of retro Russian ballroom dance. With origins on the other side of the globe, the U of T Persian Dance Group did a highly cardiovascular dance. Persian soloist Ida Meftahi later charmed the audience with her graceful steps and radiant smile.

The audience swooned as hips shook and hands swirled in several Middle Eastern belly dance numbers, choreographed by Ilana Salazar and Joanna Das. In contrast to the flesh-flashing belly dancers were elaborately costumed Kathak dancers. Joanna Das’ “Kathak” and Badia Star’s “Oyoun Sandra” were filled with jingling fast feet and confident spins. In beautiful saris, dancers Ridhdhi, Nitika and Sabina shared their traditional Indian dance in “Katta Nimbooda.”

Otherwise, the Festival of Dance was dominated by troupes from the U of T Faculty of Physical Education and Health, mainly the Only Human Dance Collective. With a myriad of styles, the collective encompasses a range of students from those highly trained to enthusiastic novices. Notable pieces from the collective included the sultry “Glory Box,” the futuristic and experimental “Up in Flames” and a playful and friendly number called “Spring.” Other pieces ranged from balletic to hip-hop and were all exceptionally organized and well rehearsed.

Meanwhile, several participants pushed the envelope with more modern creations. Lucy Rupert’s nervous and manic piece “Pru” is a delight. Dancer Tom Hui and anonymous friend demonstrated contact improvised dance, with fascinating results. Funkster Simone Maurice set the audience alight with her Michael Jackson-esque fluid-yet-robotic movements. And the notorious Mocha troupe amused and amazed with their rhythmic chanting, clapping and slapping routines.

Fast-paced and with polar-opposite diversity, this was a show like no other in town. Irrespective of skill level, the Festival of Dance is a welcoming atmosphere for any student passionate about dance to showcase their work or just revel in the high of performing.