Students at U of T are heading to Alberta this month to protest at the G8 Summit.

The G8 is an informal group of eight countries (Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States) that convenes each year to discuss key issues. This year’s summit will be held on June 26 and 27 in Kananaskis, Alberta, and its priorities will be economic growth, the New Partnership for African Development (NEPAD) and terrorism.

“I think it is important that they chose Kananaskis as a site,” said Sara Marlowe, a graduate student in the Faculty of Social Work. Marlowe, along with many others, suspects that the secluded site was selected to avoid protestors.

But the site, though hidden in the Rocky Mountains, won’t keep Marlowe away. “I am able to go out to Calgary, being a student,” said Marlowe. “It’s important to support people in Alberta and to show solidarity.”

Kevin Reynolds, a PhD student at U of T, has attended various other protests in the United States and Europe and was present in Genoa for last year’s summit. He feels the selection of Kananaskis for this year’s summit was “an irresponsible and undemocratic response to protestors. They want to maintain a quiet little group of eight leaders and want to map out action for the entire world.”

Some students feel the programs proposed by the G8 are designed in a way that is unaccountable and undemocratic.

“It’s all behind closed doors,” said Joshua Tabah, a graduate student in philosophy at U of T. Tabah is flying to Alberta on a flight organized by the Canadian Labour Congress termed “Air Six Billion.” The principle behind the term is that the world is comprised of six billion, and yet eight people are making decisions for the rest of the world. “Our tax dollars are paying for the summit,” Marlowe claimed, “but it’s not democratic. We have no say.”

Criticisms of initiatives such as NEPAD claim the program was designed without input from the countries in Africa, that Africa’s leaders do not endorse it and that it offers no alternatives.

“It doesn’t actually serve developing countries that well,” said Tabah.

Although protestors are often portrayed as radical troublemakers, Marlowe, Tabah and Reynolds all hope this event will not be plagued by violence and police brutality. All three suspect it will not turn out as other summits have in the past. “I think it will be a different kind of event than Quebec City or Genoa,” said Tabah. “It’s going to be a huge festival atmosphere,” stated Marlowe.

Marlowe feels her presence at Kananaskis will send a message. “People get inspired through big acts of mass action,” she said. “There’s safety and power in numbers.”

“You need a critical mass,” agreed Reynolds. “People don’t go to protests thinking as an individual they’re going to make an impact. I’m going to be one of the critical mass.”