The University of Toronto’s elegant, historic greenhouses will likely be preserved, thanks to an agreement between the city and U of T.

The Pharmacy Department’s new $70 million building is slated to be built on the northwest corner of College and University, where the stone and ironwork greenhouse, which was built in 1931, now sits.

However, at a city council meeting on July 16, the economic development and parks committee approved a plan to relocate the greenhouse to the Allan Gardens Conservatory. It is expected to receive final approval at the next meeting on July 30.

“This is an appropriate compromise,” said Nancy Dengler, a botany professor at U of T. “Potentially, the greenhouse can be dedicated to public outreach and education at this new location.”

As the only pharmacy school in Ontario, the U of T had hoped to double the program’s enrolment with a new building. Funding for the project has come from the university, private donors and the Ontario government.

The university expects the new pharmacy building to be ready by 2005, and if this plan gets City Hall’s approval, the greenhouse could be moved into its new home by November of this year.

Once relocated to Allan Gardens, it is expected that the greenhouse, which is currently used by the botany department, will maintain its educational role — the city proposes to use the greenhouse to teach children about botany.