While it may not be as good as Silence of the Lambs (and who really expected it to be?), Red Dragon is an extremely powerful psychological thriller. Truly creepy from the first moment to the last, this first instalment of the Hannibal Lecter trilogy is two hours of spine-chilling goodness.

Red Dragon, a remake of a much older movie called Manhunter, tells the story of FBI special agent Will Graham (Edward Norton) who is responsible for caging Hannibal Lecter in the first place. Shaken by his encounters with the man-eater, Graham leaves the bureau for a less dangerous occupation. But when faced with a new and twisted serial killer, nicknamed the Tooth Fairy (Ralph Fiennes), Graham seeks out his former nemesis’ help understanding the murderer’s mentality. Rounding out the cast are Phillip Seymour Hoffman (Magnolia, Boogie Nights) who plays a tabloid reporter desperate to be in on the action, and Emily Watson (Angela’s Ashes, Hillary and Jackie), an innocent young woman who unknowingly falls for the deceptive Tooth Fairy.

Returning for the third time as the infamous Lecter, Sir Anthony Hopkins leads a pack of talented actors who help make the film as strong as it is. More than a decade after The Silence of the Lambs, he plays the sinister cannibal with the same eeriness that first caught the public’s attention and earned him the reputation of worst (or rather, best) villain. Darkly humourous yet incredibly fascinating, his persona is not easily forgotten, and Hopkins captures his character’s essence yet again.

A more surprising casting choice was Fiennes. Typically known for his gentle and romantic lead roles in films like The English Patient and Sunshine, Fiennes seemed an odd choice. But his calm, quiet nature and strong build, while perfect for a romantic lead, also open the door for him to play a dark and menacing villain.

Director Brett Ratner’s presentation of the more gruesome aspects of the story also add to the overall effect. Rather than the typical use of blood and guts, Ratner returns to the more psychological approach of The Silence of the Lambs. Music, lighting, and dialogue are combined more effectively than is usual in films of this genre.

Red Dragon is a chilling story that, unfortunately, many will underrate simply by virtue of its being “the prequel to Silence of the Lambs.” This would be a mistake.