Sometimes things just don’t go your way. This was the case for the Varsity Blues women’s hockey team, who after two ties against the Mississauga Ice Bears on Friday and Saturday lost in the final of the 2002 Marion Hilliard Tournament on Sunday at Varsity Arena, against the Concordia Stingers.

The women came out flat from the outset, lacking the jump needed to overcome Concordia’s might. A costly giveaway just 2:12 into the game gave Concordia a 1-0 lead.

This seemed to inspire the Blues, as forward Jenny McRae connected a nice pass to defence Kim Malcher, who wove her way through the opponent’s defence and put the puck past the outmatched Concordia goalie. This was as close as the Blues would come, as Concordia slipped past them 3-1 to capture the tournament.

Strong defensive play from Safiya Muharuma and some great goaltending from goalie Lisa Robertson were the lone bright spots on the Blues squad. U of T’s offence did not give the team a chance to win, mustering only one goal during the match.

Blues women’s hockey coach Karen Hughes described the play as “flat,” and said Concordia outworked the Blues in all aspects of the game. She added that the team has to be prepared now, with three big games coming up this week.

Although this was not the result the Blues wanted, they do have something to look forward to. The defending CIS women’s hockey champions open the 2002-2003 regular season this week, and the Blues play their first three games on the road at York, Western and Windsor.