Varsity Blue Mike Glenney capped off an outstanding season last Saturday, winning a silver medal at the 2002 OUA golf championship, which was held at Waterloo, Ontario. Glenney came out strong at the tournament, firing rounds of 71 and 75 for a total of 146 over the par 71 Grey Silo course.

He shared the silver medal with Kellen Barber of McMaster University and Steven Billyard of Brock University. Jim Zwolak of Laurier University captured the gold medal, winning the individual championship with a total score of 143 (72-71). U of T’s Dan Korpela tied for 12th place with a total of 155, while Blues veteran Kevin Ostrowski shot rounds of 82 and 78, for a total of 160.

The second day of competition brought heavy rain, hail and near-freezing temperatures, but Glenney, a third-year student, was up to the challenge. He eagled the par five 7th hole, and saved par from a tricky lie near the 18th green.

U of T coach Chris Tortorice said that Glenney has established himself as one of the province’s elite golfers.

“Mike played some great golf in this tournament. He has established himself as one of the OUA’s premiere players, and we’re very proud of the way he performed,” he said.

Glenney came in first place earlier this year when he won the Queen’s Invitational tournament with a score of 69, and placed third and fourth at the University of Windsor and Western respectively. He earned the second highest number of points in the OUA this year and was named a first-team OUA All-Star. Korpela, a first-year Arts and Science student, secured a position as a second-team OUA All-Star on the strength of two second-place finishes earlier in the season.

McMaster University surprised everyone at the tournament, winning the team competition. It posted a total of 611 over two days of play. The Marauders, who have not won an invitational tournament during the season, were at the top of their game at the season-ending championship, defeating the host Waterloo team by just one stroke.

U of T finished seventh in team competition with a team total of 628. The Blues played very well the second day, posting a 310 team total, but could not recover from a poor first-round result. Western placed third in team play.