U of T students can now study in style, as the new 32,000 square feet Morrison Pavilion officially opened on Thursday. The pavilion is an extension of the Gerstein Science Information Centre, which expanded as well with a 20,000 square feet renovation.

The expansion of the library was made possible by U of T alumni Russell and Katherine Morrison, who donated 40 per cent of the project’s $15.2 million price tag, said Joan Leishman, director of the Gerstein Science Information Centre. Having been students themselves, the Morrisons understood the need for student space on campus.

“The creation of study spaces is especially satisfying because they can be used in any field of study and for the indefinite future. Study spaces are ‘homes away from home,’ even for an hour between classes. We are betting on the students,” said Russell Morrison, a 1947 graduate of U of T.

“Most importantly, it provides great new study spaces of high quality, giving the old library new life. We think it’s going to inspire new thinking,” said Carole Moore, chief librarian of U of T libraries. “It is a jewel and it certainly speaks for itself.”

There are many improvements in the east pavilion, including five levels of large rooms with open carrels and tables, leather couches, wired and wireless connections, and private rooms for small study groups. The levels overlook the Ontario Legislature in Queen’s Park.

According to Moore, there was a huge demand for study space when students and faculty were surveyed about library services 10 years ago.

Leishman said the users committee (students, faculty, library staff and university planners) developed a master plan for the whole building and identified priorities including study space, renewal and reconfiguration to improve security and library navigation, and creating an inviting, comfortable, secure space. The project design began in January of 2000.

“It was just before the fall term exams that students entered the Morrison Pavilion for the first time and began to use the study space. As each floor was ready for occupancy, without benefit of fanfare or announcement, students immediately began to fill the study tables and carrels. Within a day or so it became obvious that they had claimed the space as their own. On some days in late November and early December, almost all the spaces were full,” said Leishman.

“With the existing building, a lot of issues and problems developed over time. The library was trying to improve the operation of the existing library (the old Sigmund Samuel wing). The Morrisons were involved in the master plan to identify big issues with the orientation and the need for more stack and study space, and the issue of quality and light to be conducive to working for long hours,” said Gary McCluskie, one of the principal architects along with Donald Schmitt from Diamond and Schmitt Architects Incorporated.

The company also designed the Bahen Centre for Information Technology, Lash Miller Chemical Laboratories, and the Earth Sciences Centre.

The renovated area complements the existing 1892 architecture with lots of glass, limestone and red oak furniture. The five floors in the Morrison Pavilion allow students to see where they are and this layout improves orientation. which makes all the difference, said McCluskie.

Photograph by Simon Turnbull