LENNOXVILLE, QUE. (CUP) —Bishop’s University students were shocked to witness the destructive force of a fire that ravaged a downtown building, leaving 38 students homeless.

Rescue crews closed several blocks in order to control the fire. The students who lived in the building were used to false alarms, but when disaster actually struck, they stuck together, banging on doors to ensure residents knew the fire was real. Of the building’s occupants, only one student was rushed to hospital for smoke inhalation and released later the same day.

During an interview with CBC-radio on Monday morning, dean of student affairs Bruce Stevenson called the evacuation of the students “miraculous.” Firefighters responded to the call at 8:30 a.m. and didn’t have far to travel to reach the scene of the blaze, but fire crews stayed well into the night hosing the building and searching for possible causes.

Fire Chief Richer was unable to be reached for comment concerning possible causes of the blaze.

Shortly after the firefighters arrived to confront the tragedy, community and university officials began preparations for the displaced students.

According to Marjorie Gear, Director of Bishop’s University Student Health Services, she came across the fire “purely by accident” as she was driving, and noticed the large number of students outside in their sleepwear. A special city bus had been provided as a temporary shelter to provide heat for the students who didn’t want to leave the scene.

“They were all in a state of disbelief,” said Gear. “Nobody wanted to leave.”