When I decided to apply to U of T, I thought the main challenges for me would be to obtain the SAT, GPA and other class grades necessary to be considered for admission and obtain the visa that would allow me, as a British citizen and permanent U.S. resident, to study in Canada.

It turns out that these were relatively easy steps on my journey to university life. Once I arrived in Toronto, more obstacles stood in my way. You wouldn’t think there would be such a culture shock just over the border. There is no language barrier to contend with, and yet I still had a hard time. I have newfound admiration for students who move to Toronto from a non-English speaking country.

The study visa was straightforward. Yes, my family had sufficient financial resources to pay the fees, and no I would not assume permanent residence in Canada. A 15 minute meeting with the immigration service, $100 fee paid, stamps in passport, and I had the documentation to be officially recognized as an international student.

Then came the real challenge-how to set up the basic personal infrastructure to maintain a civilized lifestyle during the next four years. A bank account, cell phone, cable TV, and credit card are high on the list of “must haves” for many college students, especially one from the consumer epicenter of the North American continent: New Jersey.

First, the bank account: everybody has one, everybody needs one, even poor humble students. It is a first step to becoming a fiscally responsible adult member of society; a real person, an upright and responsible citizen. However, as a non-Canadian resident I had difficulty convincing a number of banks that I was a worthy customer, despite having a bank account and credit card back in the US. When I did eventually find a bank willing to take me as a customer, I was faced with many restrictions such as being unable to directly transfer funds from the US to Canada, and having to get a debit card instead of a credit card.

The highlight of this past week, of course, has been the fatal error that caused my computer to crash beyond recoverable means. After lengthy phone calls to the technical support office, they concluded that the only hope for my computer would be to send it in for repair. Turns out, because the computer was purchased back in the US, I will have to ship it over the border for repair-a process that entails a pricey shipping and international tax and customs fee.

You would think that is would be relatively simple to move from one English-speaking country to another, wouldn’t you? There’s no language barrier to deal with, but the implications of moving over the border run deeper then simple linguistics. Tiny little things, such as having to have a computer repaired in the country it was bought in and not being able to purchase items online as your credit card is not issued by a Canadian bank, can really get a first year student down in the opening weeks of the semester.

U of T is such a diverse university, hailing students from all over the globe-many of whom come from countries where English is not the primary language. Kudos to them. I have met so many people here from many places, including: Hong Kong, Pakistan, Taiwan and Russia. I am amazed and respectful of the bravery of such students, to travel halfway around the world to pursue further academic endeavors.

Whenever I feel like screaming in utter despair when I come across some sort of obstacle due to the fact that I’m not a Canadian citizen, I have to remind myself that sure, I’m having a tough time with this-but I have it far easier than some.

Clare Kelly is a first-year student at U of T, recently moved to Toronto from the U.S.