For a band formed only five years ago in smalltown (but musical hotbed) Guelph, The Constantines have had a lot of success. The band has received much acclaim since the release of their self-titled debut album in 2001, which was nominated for a Best Alternative Album Juno-not bad for a first release. On the heels of the recent release of their new Shine a Light disc, guitarist and vocalist Bryan Webb recalls the nomination as welcomed but also unexpected: “It wasn’t a world we were involved in. It was just a strange thing at the time,” he says.

Legend has it that the band got their start playing in their basement in Guelph, when they started getting local attention, particularly from Guelph/Toronto indie label Three Gut Records, who were managing their Guelph pals Royal City at the time. Three Gut released their first album, and they’ve stayed with the enterprising label despite signing a big-time deal with American indie stalwarts Sub Pop in the U.S. for Shine a Light.

“We wouldn’t be where we are without Three Gut,” Webb says, explaining the band’s loyalty. Staying true to the label that developed them from the ground up is obviously important to them-to have gone on with a different label “just wouldn’t have been right,” Webb says.

When a band rises as quickly as the Constantines have, there’s added pressure when it comes to the follow-up album. Webb is able to keep things in perspective and not take things too seriously. “We made the record we wanted to make. It’s done, it’s out. We’re at the point where we’re ready to let it go,” he says. He compares the experience of releasing Shine a Light to “taking a kid to kindergarten.”

Shine a Light sees the Cons expanding to a quintet with the new band member Whil Kidman joining in (the others are Dallas Werhle, Steve Lambke, and Doug MacGregor). Webb notes that the addition of Kidman is probably the biggest change fans will find on Shine a Light: “The biggest change is Whil, who wasn’t on the last album. He’s now a permanent member of the band,” Webb says. Another change fans might notice on the new record is the type of issues the band is addressing. Shine a Light is focused “more about community and family.” The reason for the shift was due partly to the band’s recent relocation from Guelph to Toronto, a move that left them slightly unsettled at first.

As a band, the members work well together, combining to form a unique and incredible sound that has managed to please both critics and rock fans. Shine A Light distills the band’s visceral blood-sweat-and-tears live show onto disc while also indicating impressive growth in the songwriting department.

“Musically we all put stuff in,” Webb says about the band’s democratic songwriting process. “Everyone will add, mostly we just jam until things sound right.”

Due to their plain old-fashioned rock-and-roll sound, critics have compared the band endlessly to Bruce Springsteen. Webb’s fine with it, saying, “It’s a little weird. I understand-it’s easier for people to find connections.” Interestingly enough, when first formed, the band had a mutual interest in Springsteen. “We kinda bonded over Springsteen,” Webb continues. “It was just one of those things we all just had a fondness for.”

Among his own influences, Webb cites everyone from Nina Simone, Tom Waits, Van Morrison, and Bob Dylan to the Pixies and the Talking Heads. “We try not to rip off anyone directly,” he jokes of being affected by the greats.

The Constantines are a band that value music, but have fun with it too. This is apparent not only in the way Webb describes their philosophy about rock, but also when he asks for everyone attending the CD release shows at the Horseshoe this weekend to bring, er, noisemakers. Remembering the all-ages punk shows he would attend with his friends when he was younger, it’s obvious Webb has a real passion for music.

“Punk meant something to me when I was younger. It was belonging to something that wasn’t a sports team,” he offers. As far as being labeled a ‘punk’ band, Webb notes that his generation has that influence: “We kinda grew up in punk rock bands, it’s where we were coming from. But it’s all rock n’ roll, in essence. We’re punk as much as we’re a rock and roll band or a rhythm and blues band.”

Webb’s hopes for the new album are surprisingly modest. While others in a band that’s had as much buzz as the Cons might be crossing their fingers for overnight superstardom, for Webb things are much simpler. He just hopes his music does well enough “not to have to work a day job.” And the touring doesn’t hurt, either: “I would love for this band to be a way to travel,” he muses. “Playing in bands for me is to travel and meet people in a creative community.”

The Constantines play two CD release shows at The Horseshoe, Oct. 10 and 11. Tickets are $12 at the door.