A party in full swing at a U of T fraternity recently received some unwanted guests: the police. The toga party, hosted on Oct. 3 by Beta Theta Pi, was busted by the community foot patrol of the Toronto Police.

The frat has been charged with ‘unlawfully keep, offer and sell liquor,’ a police term for selling liquor without a license. Posters for the party advertised a fee of $15 for guys or $5 for girls to drink as much as you want. Under law, even charging a flat fee at the door is illegal without a license.

This is only one of the beefs the police has with U of T frats. “We’ve had numerous complaints,” said Sergeant Mike Cannon of the 52 Division Response Unit. “They’re [the frat parties] getting out of control…they’re out late at night, falling over, creating noise.” According to Cannon, students from a variety of U of T frats have been caught damaging homes and cars in the neighbourhood and urinating and defecating on residents’ lawns.

Beta Theta Pi refused to comment, due to ‘unfair representation’ of frats by the Varsity in the past.

A zero tolerance policy has been established by the Toronto Police towards the frats, or what the cops refer to as ‘booze cans.’ Any frat selling liquor without a license will be immediately charged. “We’re concerned not only with them being drunk and disorderly, but also that they will get into automobiles and be impaired,” said Cannon, referring to the policy.

Police refuse to comment on the party itself, as the charges have yet to go before the court. Reportedly, the police ushered partygoers outside and then confiscated kegs of beer.

A community meeting will be held by the police on Oct. 22 to discuss the behaviour of the fraternities. Complaints about excessive noise will be foremost on the bill. Both frat members and community residents are invited.