For those who thought they’d forever escaped the dreaded parent-teacher conference of grade school, don’t slack off yet; Parents’ Day is still alive and well at University College.

On Saturday, about 150 parents and younger siblings of U of T students crowded into the UC Croft Chapter House, the large round building at the western end of University College. They were there for Parents’ Day, a chance to meet UC administrators and tour the college. Not, thankfully, to grill professors about their offspring’s performance, or lack thereof.

Nevertheless, most students seem to have kept away from the event. Rosemary Kelly, mother of a first-year political science student named Clare, said her daughter was unfortunately sick and couldn’t be there. One set of parents said their son, a first-year computing, physics, and math major, had stayed home to work on a project. The Diamant family said that their son Adam, who is in his first year of physics, was occupied with a basketball game.

So the parents mingled with each other, comparing notes on their absent sons and daughters, while UC Registrar Glenn Loney, Dean of Students Jana Luker, CFO Katherine Anne Boyd, and Executive Director of Development Tillie Shuster circled the room shaking hands and greeting the parents. Later, the crowd moved upstairs for lunch and tours of the building, led by UC alumni.

Parents’ Day was an initiative of the UC Student Alumni Association (UCSAA), which works to foster relationships between current students and alumni.

“What makes this event so important,” said UCSAA co-president Juan Su, “is that we’re trying to bridge the gap between students and alumni. This is the most casual way to do it.”

“It started out as a way to bring staff, students, and parents together,” said Christine Wu, the other co-president. “We so seldom get a chance to meet. We find that every year we have more and more people come.”

Bernie Chan, vice-president of the UC Alumni Association, addressed the crowd at lunch and highlighted the continuing importance of the college in his life.

“Wherever I go in life, UC is a part of me,” said Chan. “It really is a very impressive community.” He cited prestigious UC grads such as Frederick Best, David Cronenberg, Bill Davis, Bob Rae, Barbara Frum, Lorne Michaels, and others.

UC registrar Glenn Loney encouraged the parents to support their students in their first year at university.

“Your offspring are joining a wonderful institution,” said Loney.” I want to welcome you as the moral support team for your sons and daughters. Your role is to encourage them.”

A door-prize draw followed lunch, with a catch; winners had to go onstage to say who their son or daughter was and name their proudest moment as a parent. Audrey Diamant, mother of basketball-playing Adam, earned the biggest “awww” of the afternoon from the assembled crowd.

“My proudest moment is probably from birth onward because every moment has been proud,” she said.

The keynote speaker of the event was Susan Eng, a UC grad and former chair of the Metropolitan Toronto Police Services Board. She titled her speech “Things I wish I’d known when I was a student at U of T.”

“My simple wish for you is to take advantage of the benefits and services available to students,” she said.

Parents seemed to appreciate the event, even if their children avoided it.

“It’s a good chance to meet people,” said Rosemary Kelly. “And a good excuse to come to Toronto.”