Women’s Basketball

Varsity Blues number 5 Nikki Doucet drives the lane on Friday night when U of T took on Laurier in the first of two home games. On the way to beating the Laurier Golden Hawks 78-71, Doucet racked up 18 points and teammate Brilynn Ferguson a team high of 24. The next night Doucet repeated her 18 point performance against the Waterloo Warriors. The Blues rolled over Waterloo 74-51. The women’s team is currently ranked 1st in their division, the OUA East, with a 4-0 record.-RA

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team opened the season at home this weekend with two straight wins against Laurier and Waterloo. On Friday night, the men tipped off against Laurier’s Golden Hawks, and Blues Dayo Baiyewu proceeded to rack up 18 points in 28 minutes. Jonathan Taweel and Michael Williams pitched in with 15 and 13 points respectively. The final score was 65-59. Saturday, the Blues beat the Waterloo Warriors-the number 10 ranked team in the country-holding the Warriors to a season low of 49 points. Kenny Hilborn led the way for the Blues with 22 points, with Baiyewu and Mike MeGiorgio also scoring in the double digits. Taweel, who returned to the game after receiving stitches, racked up 10 points. U of T beat Waterloo 64-49. The men’s Blues are now ranked fourth in the OUA East, with a 2-2 record.-RA

This weekend, U of T’s swim team blew the competition out of the water at the Campbell divisional championships hosted by Western. Finishing with a whopping total of 2,199.5 points, the Blues men and women had first place finishes in more than 18 different events. “Our women’s team was very dominant, scoring more points than the second and third place teams combined,” said coach Byron MacDonald. Western placed second with a distant 1663 points.

Swimming

Second-year FPEH major Marcia Bryon was the star of the meet, with victories in each of her six races. In the 800 freestyle, Bryon topped teammate Nathalie LaCoste-one of the top distance swimmers in the country-to eke out the win. Rookie Jen Porenta also proved unbeatable in all four of her individual events, and logged the fastest Canadian time in the 200m freestyle this year. Ian MacLeod anted up with three butterfly firsts, and was backed up by teammate Dave Ling who won his 1500m freestyle swim. Other winners include Gillian Bryon in two backstroke races, Orlagh O’Kelly, and Nathalie LaCoste. The Blues performance also added two more qualifiers for the nationals in March-Scott Briggs and Mia Baumesiter.-RA