Alan Parker’s new film The Secret Lives of Dentists seems to spend its duration asking the question about the authenticity of the American Dream in its domestic incarnation. The problem is a difficult one, but the director’s talented cast (Campbell Scott, Hope Davis, and Dennis Leary) find a way to explore the idea without resorting to any of the clichés that we come to expect from domestic drama.

When Dave begins to suspect his wife, his partner in their family dentistry practice, is having an affair with another man, his convictions about what he always wanted his life to be manifest themselves in the form of surly patient Dennis Leary, who becomes the catalyst of insight into David’s normally reserved frame. The always-caustic Leary’s portrayal is especially clever, as he represents the wanton desires of David’s id.

The film’s strength, besides solid casting, lies in its story. Though it portrays a family in crisis, it becomes clear early on that the answers the characters seek are not simple ones. David’s frustration in his marriage leads him to re-double his efforts with his three daughters to make up for his wife’s absence, and his anger finds its way into lawn-mowing and cooking.

Another beautiful touch in the film comes when the entire family gets the flu. Here, despite the immediate problems confronting the future of the household, the parents rally together through their sickness to tackle the crisis.

The Secret Lives of Dentists also features another tour de force performance from Campbell Scott, whose commitment to the role and the project expands past mere acting to the nine years he spent trying to get the film made as the executive producer. This role stands in direct contrast to the slick ad-man he played in last year’s Roger Dodger, as the actor shows extreme restraint as diffident dentist David.

This film stands in direct opposition to something like American Beauty, and the complexities of the characters are testament to this fact. At the heart of the story is the fact that David is willing to fight for this life precisely because it is the life he always wanted, and where other characters in domestic dramas are perfectly willing to give up everything for their personal freedom, David is willing to do the opposite.

The Secret Lives of Dentists is a great film, and hopefully moviegoers will be willing to take a chance at the theatres for such a rewarding experience.