Whatever Iraq’s future, it shouldn’t involve the United States, argued speakers at a recent lecture at U of T. The event titled “What Next for Iraq” was held last Monday at Sid Smith.

Dr. Alan Connolly, president of Physicians for Global Survival, condemned the US for its breach of international law, including its use of unauthorized weapons and the illegality of the war itself. Connolly also attacked the US for bombing Iraqi infrastructure, despite promises to the contrary, and for torturing opposing soldiers.

“They’re changing laws behind flames of war. They’re devaluing international law, they’re devaluing international institutions,” said Connolly. “We can’t afford to have an illegal war when the Americans are starting to create policy to justify the use of nuclear weapons, strategically and otherwise.”

To rectify the situation, Connolly and fellow speaker Wahida Valiante recommended a greater role for the United Nations and for Canada, despite their acknowledgement of the controversial involvement of both institutions in approving the sanctions on Iraq and the war in Afghanistan.

Said Connolly, “What’s to be done with Iraq requires the international cooperation of countries that needs to use the existing international law, the existing institutions that we have, primarily the United Nations.”

Valiante, vice president of the Canadian Islamic Congress, took a similar stance concerning Canada: “The perception in the world is that we know how to…resolve conflicts and problems. So I think that’s a role we as Canadians can play.”

This stance met with vehement opposition from the third speaker, Mazen Ja’afar. Ja’afar, the vice president of the Canadian Arab Federation, dismissed the UN as an institution dedicated to the desires of the elite. Canada, he argued, is also guilty of serving American interests.

For this elite, said Ja’afar, “The God they believe is…oil and drugs.” He attributed the US’s sudden interest in democracy in the Middle East as a result of declining oil reserves.

Connolly attributed the US’s activity in the Middle East to a desire to quell anti-capitalist sentiment, part of an American plan to halt the development of socialized economies. He cited the war in Yugoslavia as an example.

Whatever the case, both speakers agree that the US has long had an eye on controlling the area. In regards to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, “Bush knew exactly this was going to happen,” said Ja’afar. “It gave the US government reason to put permanent US bases in certain parts of the world.”

Despite growing US influence, the three speakers expressed hope for the growing anti-war movement and urged listeners to realize their own individual ability to oppose American occupation of Middle Eastern countries. Said Valiante, “The only thing really truly left to balance what’s going on, and I think these really are evil times, is the power of the people.”

Ja’afar echoed this statement, rallying students to “not underestimate your power here, every student. The only power that this elite has…is our lack of comprehension of their power.”

The lecture was sponsored by the Troops out of Iraq Committee, a U of T group dedicated to raising awareness of the US’s exploitation of Iraq.