The Scarborough Campus Student Union’s Annual General Meeting took place on Nov. 27, giving a glimpse of some of the big changes planned for the campus in the future.

The financial report given by outgoing auditor Richard Saunders showed that for the 2002-2003 school year “the organization was in good financial shape.” With an increased budget from the previous year, the SCSU had more money to spend on student related issues.

The presentation and debate regarding the financial situation of the organization was followed by the president’s report, given by Bandurka. The president’s report outlined the many changes that will be occurring at UTSC throughout this year and the next. Bandurka stated that there are three main transformations that will occur at UTSC that will alter life at the campus. The first of these changes is the partnership between SAC and the SCSU. Currently SAC (Student Administrative Council) and the SCSU are separate entities with different responsibilities. On January 20-21, students at Scarborough Campus will take part in a referendum to vote whether or not they support the merger. Bandurka assured that the amalgamation would “elevate the status of UTSC students” at U of T, and earn UTSC “our own place in university government.”

The second massive change that will occur at UTSC “will change campus life dramatically,” claimed Bandurka, referring to the opening of Scarborough campus’s first student center in September 2004. The center will house four new eateries; one being Bluffs, a student-run restaurant. More club space will be available, as well as more prayer space.

The third major change to occur at UTSC according to Bandurka is the organizational growth and reconstructing of the SCSU. To aid with the numerous changes that will occur at the campus the SCSU will be increasing the number of positions available within the organization.

Although there are many changes occurring at the campus, Bandurka reminded the audience that with change comes challenge. The obstacles the SCSU will face in the near future include increasing their presence within the university as a whole, and a heightened need for advocacy on student issues.

Stay up to date. Sign up for our weekly newsletter, sent straight to your inbox:

* indicates required