Following a vicious assault on New Year’s day at Queen and Spadina women are being warned of a rapist operating in the area. The victim was a 24-year old female who was attacked in the area of Huron Street and Sullivan Street. The suspect was chased from the scene and was last seen in the area of Cameron Street and Vanauley Street in the Vanauley Walk Housing Complex. He is still at large, but has not yet been linked forensically to other incidents.

Common sense and attention to ones environment are important to staying safe. Detective Scott Spratt from the Sexual Assault Squad of Metro Police said that the message for concerned women is to always to be familiar and aware of your surroundings. “Stay in public or well lit areas,” he advised, “and don’t put yourself in any situations where you feel uncomfortable.” Traveling in pairs is also a good idea.

The suspect (see police composite on page 3) is described as a black male, five-foot eight with a slim build. He has a distinctive upper lip that is lighter in colouring than the rest of his face, perhaps from chapping or a scar. The suspect has a medium nose that is flat towards the tip. He was wearing a black puffy winter jacket and a black toque. The rest of his clothing was black or dark in colour.

If you see the suspect or have any information that could help police in this matter then call Detective Spratt at 416 808 7467.