Bob Willard is trying to convince hard-nosed executives to save the world. How is he going to accomplish this impossible task? By getting them to follow his case for sustainability, which he outlines in his book The Sustainability Advantage: Seven Business Case Benefits of a Triple Bottom Line. On January 28 Willard, a Ph.D candidate, presented his book in an interactive slideshow seminar arranged by the Institute of Environmental Studies.

Willard describes the triple bottom line as “the three-legged stool of sustainability.” First is the desire to make profit, the “leg” that companies show the most attention to. Second is eco-efficiency and “restorative to nature” operations. Little consideration is currently given to this area, only so much as to ensure that “[businesses] don’t do anything stupid and get fined.” The third includes social responsibility and ethical business strategies.

Since businesses are fixated on making profits and not on “saving the world,” Willard is forced to speak to them in their language: productivity, savings, and innovation.

“Here’s my ploy,” Willard exclaimed, “if they want to make money, help them make more money. Grab them by the bottom line and get their attention!” The seven sustainability strategies he presents in his book can lead to great benefits, from reduced hiring and retention costs and improved productivity, to decreased expenses and increased revenue and shareholder value.

Upon implementing his environmentally friendly business plan, Willard insists companies can make 38 per cent more profit every year. “And this is the low end of possible benefits,” said Willard. “Most business people would kill for that.” The number is calculated from a hypothetical company based on five real high-tech companies, including IBM, which Willard worked for.

For those executives who are sceptical of 38 per cent increased profit, Willard provides them with a customizable spreadsheet reflecting the state of their own company. They can plug in amounts for anything, costs and revenues, and then with a click of a button, companies can see how much profit is possible.

The audience was encouraged to play the role of the sceptical executive. One audience member offered a scenario: a bad year for Willard’s hypothetical company, in which revenue drops about five per cent. The audience gasped at the results: the profit decreased by only four per cent.

For those companies who decide to embrace Willard’s plan, massive education follows for company employees. “Engaging all employees is critical,” insisted Willard. “Most employees have a lot more creativity than is released in the work place. You turn this loose, and magic happens!”

Willard is currently trying to engage the business community before “it’s too late.” He has given over 70 keynote presentations to corporations, consultants, academics, and non-governmental organizations.

“I’m trying to equip the good guys with more momentum to beat the bad guys.”