In this chilly season it is heart-warming to know that there are some young people who are really making a difference in the community. Best Buddies Canada is an organization that pairs intellectually disabled youth with high school and university volunteers who can enjoy spending some free time catching a movie or perhaps just hanging out.

Buddies meet a minimum of twice a month and also attend group events with other buddy pairs. In September, two U of T students at St. George started a chapter of Best Buddies for the downtown campus. Sumeet Syam and Andrea Nickel met at a Best Buddies group event and formed a chapter for St. George. There had been a chapter ten years ago at U of T but Andrea and Sumeet had to start it again from scratch with a new constitution.

Nickel, a senior at University College studying economics and political science, explained that the host site for this chapter was Community Living Toronto, an organization that works with disabled people in the area and provides and screens the Buddies for the program. Best Buddies at U of T then recruits student buddies and pairs them based on common interests. “We’re trying to match up people so that they can be the best friends possible.”

Nickel got involved with Best Buddies after transferring to U of T from Boston University. She admired the support that Best Buddies provided to the volunteers and liked the idea of the group events. Nickel liked the scope of the program that involved students from high schools and university. “It’s a pretty huge program…which is cool.”

Group events are varied and fun. The next big event that they are looking forward to is a trip to Medieval Times. There are usually around two to three group events per semester, which the organization funds. Other than these group outings, buddies also meet on their own. Nickel gets together with her buddy every week, but points out the flexibility that is possible. “It’s not really that big of a commitment and if you are really insanely busy with school then we stress that the student should talk to their buddy…they’re your friend. It varies and it’s dependent on your schedule and your buddy’s…a lot of these people are very busy themselves.”

Best Buddies is rewarding for all that participate, says Nickel. “The energy that comes out of them is insane, it’s pretty cool.” Nickel explained that there are also associate student buddies who come to all of the group events and are very involved but don’t have a buddy. This is an option for those who want to be a part of it but do not have the time for a buddy, “So the time commitment is a lot less but they still are available to help out.”

Best Buddies has been a positive experience for Nickel for the way that she has been able to reach out and touch the lives of others. “I really love the fact that you’re getting involved in these people’s lives. Even though you may think that a friendship like this just a couple of days a month wouldn’t really change their lives, it does…just to see that you are making a difference in people’s lives and see them come into the community. For a lot of these people it’s probably hard and they are very isolated…this gets them out. It’s not a care program it really is a friendship program and it’s fun for everyone. I really love that idea.”

If you want to be involved then you can contact Andrea or Sumeet through the Best Buddies Web site and fill out an application. There is a police check and a list of interests and time availability questions, so that you will have “a more naturally successful relationship.” Students also meet buddies through get-togethers. “Every year we have a big group party so that everybody can meet each other and from there it’s up to you guys.”