Huddled together to keep warm from the strong winds and flurries on Sunday, Newman Centre Catholics paraded down Philosopher’s Walk holding palm leaves and singing Latin songs. They tried to reenact Jesus Christ’s famous journey into Jerusalem, when he rode on top of a donkey walking over palm leaves set down by believers. A week later Jesus was said to have been crucified.

“Jesus probably didn’t have to deal with this cold when he went to Jerusalem,” said Fr. Patrick O’Dea, pastor of the Newman Centre chapel. “But we try our best to follow his example.”

When the procession had entered the chapel, a group of men and women entertained the congregation with a reenactment of Jesus’ last hours before his execution. Each person took a role in Luke’s version of the passion narrative and spoke as if they were either Jesus, Peter, the Jewish tribunal or Pontius Pilate, with a narrator telling the story.

A sermon by Fr. Robin Koning followed the reenactment and focused on a Catholic’s duty to follow Jesus’ example just as Muslims follow Mohammad’s example, called “Sunna.” Koning said that especially during this holy week, Catholics should take up the burden of Jesus’ cross.

Koning said that many people create their own idea of the cross, which gives them false burdens. He said that some believers take on the burden of convincing others that his/her view of being a good person is the only way and everyone else’s versions are wrong. Koning said that the cross Jesus passed on to mankind was not one of resentment for those who crucified him, nor was it one of bitterness or hatred.

“Jesus’ cross is a cross of faith, hope for a better future, love, and of a reliance in God,” said Koning.

After Koning’s sermon, four people gave the Catholic creed to join Newman Centre Catholics in trying to follow in the footsteps of Jesus in order to be good Christians.