An audible spectre of cheers and jeers past can be heard at Varsity Field, as talks rekindle hope for a new stadium.

The tentative deal reached between the University of Toronto, the Toronto Argonauts, the Canadian Soccer Association and both Federal and Provincial governments, would see the construction of a 25 000 seat stadium on the same site that housed the old Varsity Stadium, which was demolished in 2002. The $80 million in costs are expected to be shared by U of T and both levels of government.

“The commitments are $35 million from the federal and provincial governments, subject to Canada winning the bid to hold the 2007 Men’s Under-20 World Soccer Championship,” explained Bruce Kidd, Dean of Phys Ed. “U of T will finance $30 million of the cost and raise another $15 million through private donations.”

“Students should be ecstatic about the deal,” said John Dellandrea, Vice-president of University Advancement and one of the key negotiators working towards a deal. “The university is absolutely committed that this will be a top-rate facility.”

The only thing that might hinder the project at this point is the fact that funding is contingent on Canada winning the bid to host the 2007 Men’s Under-20 World Soccer Championship. Dellandrea and Kidd do not fear the possibility of a failure to win the bid, as it is virtually uncontested by other nations.

“We are currently proceeding as if the project is going forward,” commented Dellandrea. “It is a 99% certainty now, and the ambition is to have the facility ready by 2006.”

There are no doubts in the minds of all those involved that government funding was essential