Civil disobedience-the America’s Funniest Home Videos way!

Toronto Action for Social Change (TASC) announced yesterday that it would be leading a protest against the Canadian Security intelligence Service (CSIS)…by making home movies.

The group is protesting the treatment of Kassim Mohamed, a Canadian Muslim who was interrogated by the RCMP and CSIS after using his camcorder to film video of the CN Tower.

TASC is asking Muslims to meet outside the CSIS building at 277 Front Street West on Sunday at 2:30 PM, and asks that everyone bring a video or still camera. The group will walk along Front Street and, as TASC’s press release says, “exercise your rights” to take pictures of the CN Tower.

-Graham F. Scott

Anti-Calendar apology assuages annoyed admin

The Arts and Science Students’ Union yesterday issued a formal apology for the back cover of the 2004 ASSU Anti-Calendar. As was first reported in the Sept. 20 issue of The Varsity, the Anti-Calendar back cover drew condemnation from university administrators because it featured a personal ad for former ASSU President-and current SAC President-Rini Ghosh. The ad featured Ghosh pictured in traditional Bengali clothing and said it was seeking a “Husband for not so young, relatively attractive…Bengali Girl” and offered Ghosh’s brother as a dowry. Several critics called the ad sexist and racist. “Although the advertisement was intended as a joke, ASSU has realized that some members of the community have taken offense,” wrote ASSU President Paul Bretscher in the letter. “[ASSU] has a historic commitment to equity and diversity, values which are fundamentally important to our organization.”

The letter went on to state that Anti-Calendar editor Terry Buckland had been formally reprimanded for the ad, and that new guidelines were being drawn up to decide what content will go into the Anti-Calendar in future.

-GFS