Approximately a quarter of gay and bisexual men in Ontario that are infected with HIV may not know they have it, says a U of T study.

A large-scale survey was conducted to assess HIV prevalence in the gay and bisexual male demographic as it relates to the behaviour of individual men. Led by unit director Dr. Ted Myers, the study examined the results of voluntary saliva tests, which are used to ascertain HIV status, and compared the results with the number of men that accurately reported their HIV status. The study found that as many as 27 per cent of HIV-positive men were unaware of their condition. Those who are ignorant of their disease, Myers notes, may continue to partake in risky behaviour.

This information comes as a surprise given that in the past 20 years HIV testing has become a regular practice among gay and bisexual men. In Toronto alone, roughly 80 per cent of gay and bisexual men claim to having been tested for HIV. This shows an encouraging trend when compared with the figure of 65 per cent 10 years ago.

Myers’ research team looked at over 5,000 self-identified gay and bisexual men from across Ontario. To date, this is the most comprehensive and largest study of gay and bisexual men in Canada. This survey also attempts to explore the socio-behavioural basis that is linked to high-risk behaviour and the contraction of HIV. The last national survey conducted on the matter took place in 1991.

Myers mentions that the gay and bisexual male community has changed significantly throughout the past decade. The picture presented today is one of a racially and culturally diverse community with many more social and community services at its disposal.

As optimistic as the figures appear for the rate of self-testing for HIV, the fact remains that up to 27 per cent of HIV-positive Ontario men may possibly be unaware of their status. This reinforces the need for more safe sex campaigns, says Myers.

Another statistic concerns the level of unprotected sex occurring in the gay and bisexual male community. Twenty five per cent of those surveyed have engaged in unprotected sex in the past three months, according to Myers’ research. For many, this could be viewed as the failure of previous safe sex campaigns.

Myers asserts, “While the percentage may seem high, it reflects simply that unprotected sex occurred on at least one occasion. The same man might have protected sex most of the time. Some may have made an assessment of the risk that led to the non-use of condoms. Or, they may have made a decision to take the risk after discussions with a partner whom they trusted.”

When asked about what kind of intervention can be expected as a result of these findings, Myers states: “The data suggest the need for continued support from the federal and provincial governments for education. It is clear that gay and bisexual men have received the message. However, the message needs to be renewed and maintained. Despite knowledge of many of the facts about risk behaviour, men make assumptions that may be erroneous. Also, some of the emphasis that was present in early prevention campaigns such as ‘how to use condoms effectively’ is sometimes forgotten.”

It is hoped that with the results from this study, further funding will be received in order to sustain continued education campaigns.

The Ontario Men’s Survey was conducted by U of T’s HIV Social, Behavioural and Epidemiological Studies Unit, and was funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care, and GlaxoSmithKline’s Positive Action Fund.