Many fans of Interpol who cherish their critically acclaimed debut album, Turn On The Bright Lights, have found the recently released follow-up, Antics, to be slightly disappointing. In its own right, Antics is a good album, but when compared to Bright Lights, it shines a little less brightly.

With that in mind, some may have found it daunting to go to last week’s concert promoting Antics, knowing that the vast majority of songs making it into the set would surely be taken off the latest album rather than from their debut.

Beginning with the opening track from Antics, “Next Exit,” the band immediately caught the attention of the restless crowd. As they hit the opening chords to the smash-hit “Obstacle 1” they took the audience by surprise, and set the tone for the rest of the concert. Singer Paul Banks began with a shaky start, but the unique sound of his voice had the ability to quickly grow on the listener, and closely resemble what appears on their albums.

Breaking into “Evil,” the energy of the audience continued to rise and the ever-sharply dressed Banks, decked out in a fedora, thanked the audience (something he would do constantly throughout the night). It appeared as though the band was having a good time playing on stage-gun holster-wearing Carlos D. would raise his bass in the air many times while playing, and explore the space on stage with guitarist Daniel Kessler, who was also dressed to the nines. Drummer Sam Fogarino had no trouble keeping things together.

Included in the set were the ‘three-letter’ singles from Bright Lights: “NYC” and “PDA.” The band’s lengthy pause in “PDA” had the crowd anxious and on the edge, and when they crashed back in, they had much more power and vigour than in the earlier half. The first single off Antics, “Slow Hands,” was executed with an intensity and liveliness that any true hit should possess.

Interpol kept their set well balanced, playing new and old material throughout the show, which thoroughly pleased most of those in attendance. Despite The Docks being a terrible venue, the band was able to keep the crowd rocking all night to their trademarked New York sound.

The lighting arrangement at the show was a nice accompaniment to their music, creating a visual symphony of bold colour and bright lights. Their set remained short, producing no second encore, yet one felt content and satisfied after leaving the concert.