Around 2000 people gathered at the Ukrainian consulate Tuesday to protest the results of the recent Ukrainian election. Co-sponsored by the Ukrainian Students Club at U of T (UKSC), the event coincided with ongoing demonstrations throughout the Ukraine, where hundreds of thousands have taken to the streets after Viktor Yanukovych declared victory in what is being hailed a fraudulent election.

Viktor Yuschenko, who has campaigned on a platform of increasing ties with Europe, has accused his Russian leaning opponent of fraud. As investigations continue, the evidence suggests that this will most certainly be the case. The international community has almost unanimously criticized the election for being undemocratic.

U of T student Peter Czurylowicz observed polling stations near Odessa last Sunday, and returned to Toronto the day of the demonstrations. He said that it was clear that the elections were rigged, and that in order to prevent further unrest, “the government was paying people off to ice the highways into Kiev.” A convoy of busses carrying 80 000 students from Lviv to Kiev was reportedly stopped 100 km outside of the city. Determined to reach the capital, the students set out on foot.

In Kiev however, under orders from the mayor, many police and militia are allowing the demonstrations to continue unhindered, said Czurylowicz . The mayor contends Yanukovych’s victory, and has refused to accept the results.

The atmosphere was frenzied, but peaceful, and for a single evening that was billed as an all night vigil, Bloor Street West was transformed into a small piece of Ukraine. Signs reading “Yuschenko, The Will of The People” waived, as cars driving past honked in support.

“The people used their voice, and it wasn’t heard,” said fourth year student Halyna Zalucky, who is also Social Issues Director for UKSC. “As Canadians, we support their right to democracy, their right to choose.”